Chapter Seven: Dinner Plans

("A nice meal is a blessing from God.") - Mrs. Kenworth

Today is Friday and I'm going over to Mr.Kenworth's house tonight to eat dinner with them. I can't really imagine how this will turn out. I'm not really used to eating dinner at a table with people. The only people who are with me when I eat are usually there because they're trying to steal my food. But before I go to dinner I am going to meet with Mr.Hathway and talk about advertising for the fundraising dinner tomorrow night. I walked to the Virginia gazette and waited outside for him as planned.

"Hi Roger, you made it, he said as he walked outside.''

We both shook hands. "Did you get the ad into the paper."

"Yes, I was able to slip in an ad saying that there will be a fundraising dinner at the Wilconson's house tomorrow night for the construction of a homeless shelter."

"That's good, it seems that everything is going as planned."

"And when the house and land are purchased, said Mr. Hathway, they will be owned by the Red Shield so we don't have to worry about any other problems."

We talked in greater detail about the plans until Mr. Hathway had to go back to work. Next, I went over Mr. Adinson's farm. Sometimes he will pay kids to do some odd jobs.

"Hey Roger, are you looking for some work, he asked as soon as I arrived at his place?"

"Yep, anything that will get me a little cash."

"Well I have a pile of wood that needs to be chopped and brought inside the cellar, and when you get done I'll give you a penny"

I got to work right away. Chopping up wood and then bringing it inside. If I worked at a quick steady pace I could be done and make it to Mr. Kenworth's house on time, without having to run. It took me about two hours to get done with the large pile of wood.

"Thanks for the help Roger, he said handing me a penny, come back another day and I may have some more work for you to do."

  We said goodbye and I started off towards the Kenworth's house. I arrived a little before five and waited outside. I glanced through their window to look at the exact time. At exactly 5 O'clock I knocked on the door.

Mr. Kenworth opened the. "Glad you could make it Roger. Your right on time." He beckoned me into the house, and I stepped in.

 It was a very nice home. High ceilings with a chandelier in the living and dinning room. They had nice furniture, decorated windows, and all the surfaces were cleaned and polished.

"You have a very nice house, I said to Mrs. Kenworth as she walked up to us.''

"Why thank you dear, she said affectionately, and you must be Roger."

"Yes, that's me."

"The food is all ready so we should start eating before it gets cold, said Mrs. Kenworth.''

We went over into the dinning room and sat down to eat. There was a huge meal set before us. The table was filled with corn, steak, vegetables, and dinner rolls. I didn't want to seem lot a slob or a starving animal so I just grabbed a smaller portion than I wanted to, and tried to eat like the Kenworths with a knife and fork.

"So Roger, do you have anything you want to do when you grow up, asked Mrs. Kenworth.''

"I haven't really thought about my future that much, I said, I just try to make it through every day with a full stomach."

"On Tuesday we usually buy our groceries. We will pay you to pick them up for us if you want a job, Mr. Kenworth offered.''

"Of course, I would love to, I replied quickly.''

"Good, now after we are done eating my wife can talk to you about what you will buy every week, and what stores you will have go to."

We talked as we finished the meal, and then moved into their living room to talk.

"I was reading the Virginia Gazette this morning and came across an advertisement for a fundraising dinner this Saturday night, said Mrs. Kenworth as she sat down on the couch. It's going to be at the Wilconson's house, would you like to come with us Roger?"