Jail

Ponyboy's POV

"Ponyboy Patrick Curtis is sentenced to 9 months in Tulsa Juvenile detection center with no chance parole." The judge yelled then he pounced the gavel.

No.

This can't be happening I can't go to jail. I was supposed to go to a boys home not jail. They dumped the crime of Bob's death on me after Johnny died. They said I did it. Tears roll down my face. I look at my two brothers, Darry and Sodapop. Soda is looking straight at me tears in his eyes. Darry still was looking at the judge obviously in shock.

What am I going to do without the gang? They have my back on every. Soda is always there to talk to and now he'll be gone. Everyone will be as gone as Johnny.

Some cops come by and put handcuffs on me. This isn't right though. I didn't kill Bob. I didn't start the fire. I'm a victim.

The cops haul me off to a prison bus and I don't even get to say bye.

9 months later

I didn't get one call. Not a single visit. No letters written. The memory that I actually had brothers slowly began to fade away. Surviving in jail was my only life. I had no gang. I had no family. The only thing I had was my prison jumpsuit and my bunkbed.

When the nine months came to an end I was shocked to hear the court wasn't sending me to a boys home. They said they best thing was to be with my brothers. Darry and Soda had no idea I was coming back home.

The guard gave me back my worn jeans and black muscle tee. My feet had grown too big for my old sneakers so I walked out of jail with only my socks on. Nobody came to pick me up.

I was walking the Tulsa streets I used to know when a car pulled up next to. It was a beat up piece of trash that I knew belonged to Tim Shepherd.

"You outta jail now." He shouts over the radio. Thier whole gang seemed to be in the car.

"I walk these streets a free man." I say. Some of the guys in the car chuckle.

"Yeah well if you ever need a place to stay. The Shepherd door is always open." Tim says.

"Thanks Tim." Is shout just before he drives away.

That's really weird. Tim doesn't usually go around offering people his place to stay. And besides he knows I have a good home with Darry and Soda, unless I dont. Maybe they stopped caring about me after I went to jail.

As I get closer to my neighborhood is start to get nervous. How am I supposed to face the gang? I just got back from prison. I ruined my life. Then I think back to how they never called or anything and then I get mad. They think their too good for me.

I open the gate to the house. I'm gonna take Tim up on that offer. There ain't no way I'm staying at my old house. I just need to grab some clothes.

I open the front door. The whole gang lay in the living room. Just my luck. Nobody notices me which is good but it also makes me more mad. They're just ignoring me.

I walk into my old room. It looks the exact same since I left it. Except all of the pictures of me are gone. I grab some shirts and pants out of the dresser.

I walk back into the living room and clear my throat. They all turn to look at me pure shock on their faces.

"What're you doing here?" Darry asks almost stern like he's made at me or something.

"I'm getting my stuff and leavin'. Ain't gonna miss me are ya?" I smirk a little. Jail usually teaches people to back down but I guess it taught me to stick up for myself.

"Why are you leaving you just got here?" Soda then asks. He couldn't write me not once. He's sure is a poor excuse for a brother.

"You don't need me here anyhow." I sneer. Here they are all acting shocked to see me like I came back from the dead.

"Pony, don't leave." Soda tries to convince me.

"Where are you even gonna go?" Two-bit asks.

"I'm going to Tim's and maybe I'll come back if you guys actually wanted me here." I reply.

"What are ya even talking bout, of course we want you here." Darry says. Now that I'm out of jail they care.

"Yeah someone who wanted me would write me. Or come visit. I really see how much ya'll care." I almost shout.

Darry face fell, Two-bit looked out the window, and Soda played with his hands. They didn't care. Not one bit.

"It was easier for us if we just pretended you were never here in the first place." Darry sighs.

"You know I tried to call you. I asked the guard once. And you know what he said he said if ya'll cared a nickel you would call me but that I was scum and no one would ever care. So I punched the guy in the face. Then they beat with their fucking sticks and I got sent to a weeks solitary!" I yell at them.

Soda's face went pale and Darry grimaced.

"They b-beat you." He paused and swallowed. "With their batons." Soda looked scared like he just saw a ghost.

I decided to pull up my shirt and show them the marks on my back. Bruises purple and green were across my back. I had got them from many occasions but the time I punched the guard was the worst.

"Oh god, Pony. If we had known..." Soda trailed off visibly upset.

I pulled my shirt back down and took a look at the gang. Sodapop looked paler then when I saw him last. Darry looked a lot older he almost looked my father's age and yet he only had twenty some years on his back. Two-bit looked a little less hyper like his battery hadn't been charged in awhile. Steve looked less tough. He had lost some weight I could tell.

As much as it hurt me too be away from them they hurt too. Johnny and Dally weren't just my friends they were there's too. And then I had to leave too. They did care. In fact I think they cared too much.

"I-I need some time." I paused and breath. Suddenly all the anger and confidence that I just had was gone. "I just need to stay at Tim's house for awhile. I've gotten used to living by myself and I think I need that for a little longer."

"Not too long I hope." Darry says.

"Not too long." I echo.

Omg so sorry it took so long!! This part isn't the best thing I've done but I hope you liked it anyway.
-Victoria