Part 5

My parents arrived at half past 11 . To be honest, the friend of uncle Jem didn't make a good first impression. He seemed to have drunken a lot. I  didn't know him, but I felt I didn't long for any further knowledge of his ways. He drove away in the middle of the road, happily waving through the passenger's window. My parents were, however, made of a different soil.A reliable one. Dad doesn't like drinking on kid's parties and mum can stand a lot of alcohol.  We had to hurry up,for the airport wasn't near at all. An hour and a half in the opposite direction, if we should be more precise. We said our goodbyes, I got the "you-can-always-give-up-again-and-study-economics-instead" hints and now it is almost one p.m. and dad is driving the car. I'm wondering what the weather will be like in Hampshire. The weather forecasts were not united in their forecasting. It may be freеzing cold or 30+ degrees(°C) . For the purpose of being organised and ready for every challenge I'm travelling with my winter mantel.

14.15 We're almost there. The traffic is terrible. As if whole London is off to Hampshire. What, is everybidy flying today? We are half way through the road to the airport and one can hardly see anything through the cars' smog.
"Don't worry, we'll be right on time"- it should be the twentieth time dad says this. My stomach crumbles. I wish I'd bough something more for lunch. The present from Darren was a nice muffin, but it's long gone and, judging on the emptiness I feel, it's already been digested  as well. I have some crisps somewhere in my bags, but they are in the boot and I'm almost sure the red one at the bottom was the one with the food. Whatever. The matter at hand is whether we really are going to make it in time for me to check in and not need to run head over heels to get on the plane. I recently saw a documentary of the worst things you could experience in connection to flying. Apart from natural catastrophes and your quiting life  as we know it,that is. One of the top dangers was having your luggage taken on from another plane or not leaving your start position at all. Speaking of which I think I forgot my books. Ooh. I groan. My father turns around to look at me.
"Do you feel alright?I'd suggest you opened the window to get some fresh air, but giving it a second of thought you might reconsider"
"No, no... I just figured I'd forgotten my books at home. "
"Are you that keen on them?"
"No,not really. I could phone Jade and ask her to pick them up before that all-knowing landlord of mine gets to rank them among the furniture. 'Rent now and you get a free set of books' "-I mock mr. Jab, the landlord.
"Yeah, I think you'd better hurry as well. We really are going to reach the airport soon " dad winks at me and turns towards the road to move us another couple of centimeters ahead.
Meanwhile I try to reach Jade, sadly in vain. She's probably left her phone somewhere. Instead of insisting I decide to choose another tactic-mr Jab is off for the weekend and his wife, a much nicer thing, one could rely on. I call and tell her that a friend of mine would retrieve the books as soon as possible. She promises to keep them safe. I like this lady.