Pathetic

I look at the mirror in my bathroom, staring at my reflection. My shriveled blue eyes catches a figure of a light pale ivory skinned girl standing right in front of the mirror. It's me, ready for another boring high school routine again. I pull my hair into a high messy bun, putting no fancy make up on, something that I don't really feel insecure with. I'm that kind of a girl with dirt under her polished nail, skinned knees under the pleated skirts. A girl boys not fall in love with.

When I'm ready, I grab my bag from my bed and make my way downstairs to greet everyone in the kitchen

When I'm ready, I grab my bag from my bed and make my way downstairs to greet everyone in the kitchen. I can smell the sweet scent of half-cooked pancake and the soothing scent of the brewed coffee spread all over the room.

"Morning," I say, putting my backpack on the dining table.

"Good morning, Jessey." Mom says planting a kiss on my forehead and continue cleaning the pan from the basin. "Morning, Jessey." Isaac, my older brother says flipping his pancake trying to look like a professional chef. I walk behind the mini bar, take a cartoon of milk from the fridge.

"How's your sleep?" Mom asks me.

"It was good," I nod, "Mom, do you mind if I go home with Melissa and Irene today?"

"I don't know, honey. Ask your brother." Mom says with the usual grimace on her face.

"Well, we were planning to go to the mall after school and Melissa said she might want to give me a lift back home." I say resting my hands on the isle.

"Hey, I hate it when you guys talk like i'm not here," Isaac pouts, flipping the pancake once again and this time he totally nailed it. Mom and I laugh at him.

"Sorry bro. Sooo?"

Isaac shrugs and takes a seat in the dining table, completely ignoring me. He shares his pancake with Mom and gives me a pointed look.

We are sitting on the dining table, with me sitting opposite mom and Isaac sitting beside me. We eat in a total comfort silent before Mom finally breaks the silent,

"Kids, today I might have an overtime work, so I'l probably go home really late."

"S'okay, Mom. You always do that, though," I say, pouring a syrup on my pancake, "That's why I never want to be a doctor."

Isaac chuckles, "Yeah, you are not smart enough to be a doctor anyway. You're not even ready for school today. Or tomorrow. Or the other day. Or-"

"Oh stop it!" I punch his shoulder playfully.

"Speaking of school, you are going to help me with my math homework today, aren't you?"

"Hah, not exactly."

"But you promised me!"

"Hey, I have my own homework, okay? And lacrosse practice with Jake today." He throws his hands in the air, shrugging. I visibly flinch at his statement. My brother is kind of a jerk sometimes.