The Prom

It was Friday night during our prom. Everyone were dressed elegantly. When I stepped down the car, I immediately looked for Ashley and Topher. Then I saw my friends. Gosh! Ashley was so beautiful especially in her pink dress. By that time, I blamed myself for not asking her earlier. She wasn't able to talk to us any longer because he was fetched by her date, Josh St. Morning.

"Well that was disappointing," Topher teased.

"Ha ha, very funny. Aren't you gonna fetch Lucy now?"

"She's not here yet. How 'bout Cindy?" he asked me back.

"Cindy's not yet here also. You know what Topher? I think what I'm feeling with Ashley right now is not just only crush," I told him.

"What do you mean?" 

"What I mean is, I think I'm starting to fall inlove with her," I feel like I'm starting to blush.

"Good luck Nate," he's starting to tease me again.

"I should go now. Cindy is already here. Enjoy the night!" 

"Okay. Same to you," replied Topher.

I met Cindy and she reached for my arms. We entered the hall as the party is about to start. I called an usherette to escort us tou our table. At that time while we are walking to our table, I feel awkward. I don't know why. I decided to ask her some questions.

"Uhm...Cindy, are you feeling awkward?" I don't know how but I asked her straight to the point.

"Nope. In fact, I feel romantic when I'm with you," she replied.

I didn't expect her answer and I can see in her face that she really isn't feeling awkward. When we reached our table, she told some of her stories. Of course, I also told mine so that she won't be bored. 

Finally, the program has started. The hosts introduced the candidates for the prom king and queen. Surprisingly, I heard my name as well as Cindy's and Ashley's.

I think about it in the rest of the night. If in case that I will be chosen as the prom king, I would want Ashley to be the prom queen. But, if that happens, Cindy might get upset. I want to change the topic on my mind so I asked Cindy to dance with me. 

Everybody is enjoying the disco dancing. I admit it, me and Cindy are enjoying too. But I couldn't stop looking at Ashley. 

"Is everything alright?" Cindy aksed.

"Yeah, why?" I wonder why she asked.

"Who are you looking at? Eleanor?" I don't know what she'll do but I have a bad feeling about this.

It happened that Eleanor was so close to Ashley and Cindy thought that I was looking at her.

"Nate, stay here okay?" she commanded me.

"But wait. Don't..." I tried to stop her but it was too late.

She pulled Eleanor's hair. Then Eleanor slapped her back. I wish nothing of this happened. Everyone in the room are like watching a divas match in WWE. Zac, the partner of Eleanor came to stop the fight. I also approached them but before I was able to stop the girls, Josh came. I don't know why. Maybe he just want to protect Ashley. Or he just want to be the "hero" again. 

When Josh came to stop the ladies, Zac punched Josh. He thought Josh is the partner of Cindy. Well, good thing that I didn't come to stop them. But Ashley is stopping them while crying and I can see in her that she is embarrassed of what's happening.

Mrs. McWright, the dean of our campus, came to stop them. She asked the students concerned in the scene to come with her in her office.

"What's the commotion all about?" the dean asked. "The four of you, follow me in my office."

I didn't notice my self that I'm slowly walking towards Ashley. But I decided to continue though. She was crying in shame.

"It's alright Ash. It's alright," I feel very sad at the same time, guilty about what happened especially that I am the reason why Cindy charged to Eleanor.

I felt electrified when suddenly, she hugged me. No choice so I hugged her also.

"Uhm excuse me everyone. Sorry for the inconvenience. At this point, we will now continue the program with the main event of the evening," the host captured the attention of the people.

"Gentlemen, you can now ask your dates for the sweet dance," the other host said.

Ashley, just sit in their table all alone. Both our partners are in the dean's office so it is very complicated for us to dance.

"Ask her to dance," suddenly, Topher whispered while he passes by with her date, Lucy.

"I know, thanks," I replied.

Topher advised me like I didn't think of that. I approached Ashley.

"Ash, since our partners aren't here, uhm...Can I have this dance?" Fortunately, I was able to ask her.

Wiping her tears, she give me her hand and answered, "My pleasure."

I put my hands on her waist as hers is on my shoulders. We stepped to the rhythm.

"Ashley, I'm very sorry about what ha..." I wasn't able to finish.

"Let's just don't talk about it okay. By the way, thank you for comforting me," she give me a smile and lie her head on my chest.

"No problem. But again, I'm sorry," I continued apologizing to decrease my guilt.

"It's okay. Let's just cherish this moment," she answered as I felt that I blushed by that moment.

I wish we are like this all the time. Dancing in the mood. Me combing her hair with my hands. Everything is perfect right now.

"Uhm...Ash, there's one thing I want to say," I decided to reveal my feelings on her.

"What is it?" She asked.

"All this time, I ah..."

"Ladies and gentlemen, sorry for the interruption. Due too the incident earlier, the judges find it difficult to choose the winners. But we have a good news for you. The votes are in for the prom king and queen," the host didn't meke me finish my statement.

"And at this point, we will announce the winners," the other one announced.

"Ladies and gents, this year's prom king is..." everybody in the venue is in tension waiting for the result.

"Nathan Henderson," everybody applauded as they hear my name.

Topher and Lucy came to congratulate me. I made my way to the stage. The hosts gave me a sash with "Prom King 2013" written on it, a crown and five hundred dollars as cash prize.

"And this year's prom queen is none other than..." I hope that Ashley's name will be called.

"Ashley Nelson," I feel happy hearing her name announced. 

She come over the stage. The hosts gave her flowers, a sash with "Prom Queen 2013" on it, a crown and the cash prize of five hundred dollars.

She went beside me and hugged me and everyone seeing us, teased that we are a great pair.

"Thank you for this night. You made me enjoy this prom," she thanked me and kissed me in my right cheek.

(to be continued...)