Summer In Denver

After everything, I heard a splash and all I know is I’m wet.  Ashley reached out for me and looked at his dad.

“Nice job, dad. Very funny,” she said annoyed.

We were in the lake until lunch and had so much fun, especially me because Ashley was just riding my back. She’s afraid to let go of me because the lake is very deep for her and she’s not a very good swimmer.

“Ash, I have something to tell you,” I said while we were floating on the water.

“What is it?” she asked.

“I didn’t mean to listen to your conversation earlier with your sister,” I started.

“What did you hear?” she worried.

“Everything,” I answered.

“Everything as in everything?” she started blushing in awkwardness.

“Yup. Is it true that you have feelings for me?” I asked her straight to the point.

“Ever since seventh grade,” she answered.

I don’t know what kind of response I will give to her. I just smiled and she smiled back. I thought of something. Maybe this is the best time that I should also confess my feelings for her.

“You know, I have the same feeling as yours,” I began. “Ever since seventh grade, I started trying to capture your attention. I was so disappointed that your date last prom was Josh and not me. But luckily, we had a chance to dance together that night.”

She seemed to be surprised because she didn’t answer. But later on she smiled a little. She whispered me something.

“All this time, we were just hiding feelings,” she said.

“Isn’t it funny?” I whispered back.

All of a sudden, when was about to ask her something, Mrs. Nelson called us for lunch. I asked Ashley to hold on tight and I swam to the shore. I gave her the towel and dried her.

Our lunch by the lakeside was great. We had vegetable salad, barbecue and mashed potato in gravy. We were laughing while eating because Mr. Nelson was telling us his embarrassing stories. Then after that, he approached me.

“What were you talking about earlier in the water?” Mr. Nelson asked smiling.

“Uhm, nothing sir,” I answered. I didn’t tell the truth because I was afraid that he might get mad at me.

“C’mon, Nate. It seemed that you were talking about something seriously while she rides your back,” his smile was very teasing that’s why I got the feeling that he won’t get mad if I tell the truth.

“She told me that she had feelings for me, sir” I had to tell the truth even though I do not know what will be his reaction.

“What about you, what did you said?” he asked.

“Well, I told her the truth. That I also have feelings for her,” I answered.

“That’s all? No can-you-be-my-girl-friend thing?” I was so surprised in his question.

“No, sir. That’s all,” I answered. “And that’s true.”

“Well son, it’s okay with me if you have feelings with each other,” he explained. “Actually, you’re my dream man for my daughter.”