Chapter 5: The Hike

"I've made plans for the weekend. . . and you're coming with me." I informed Vic as I walked into my bedroom where he was changing the sheets on my bed. Which, actually, I told him I would do myself, but once again he was being difficult.

I swear he was lucky that I liked having him around, or else I would have smothered him with my pillow right now.

"The whole weekend?" He questioned softly.

"Mhm." I confirmed. "I need to be in the hospital for a few days next week, and seeing as I have no idea in what state I'll be coming out of it -that being sick or in a body bag- so I just want to do something fun this weekend."

"Okay."

I snorted a little. "You're not going to ask me where we'll be going?"

Vic shrugged lightly and finished up the bed. "Nah, I mean. . . knowing you, I'm assuming it'll be something like a cultural seminar that'll cause me to fall asleep in the first ten minutes. . . or some terrible opera that'll have me screaming for days." He blatantly pointed out.

I sighed a little and shook my head. "You obviously don't know me at all." I sang, grabbing a pillow and throwing it at him.

Vic let out a sharp breath as it hit his chest, but he was quick to grab onto it. He then shot me a questioning look. "Well then, where are we going?"

"Well, I'm definitely not telling you now."

I wasn't all about art, theatre and everything in between. . . sure that was a huge part of my life, but I enjoyed doing other things, too. I mean, I didn't just travel the world to see museums and what not. I was actually pretty adventurous from time to time.

"Oh come on, I'm curious now. . . sort of." Vic whined as he followed me out of the bedroom.

I chuckled a little but there was no way that I was going to answer him now.

Vic was going to be in for a big surprise.

<> <> <>

"I can't believe we're doing this. . ." Vic murmured, already sounding tired before we had even started. He was already dressed in cargo shorts and a t-shirt, so all I really needed to get him were proper shoes and something to hold a few water bottles for along the way.

"I mean, hiking, really? Can you even do that?" He then asked as he tied his shoelaces.

I shot him an unimpressed look. "I have cancer, Vic, I'm not paralyzed from the neck down." I reminded him a little bitterly. "Now hurry up, we have a long way to go."

Vic groaned in protest, but followed me to the dodgy path that led up the mountain anyway. I had always wanted to do this, especially in this area. I enjoyed nature, and hiking seemed like a fun thing to do. My legs were pretty strong so I figured that I could do this.

"I don't know if I can do this. . ." Vic murmured right at that moment. "You're not going to let me die, right?" He then questioned as we began to climb up the path.

I giggled a little; smiling back at him as he adjusted the small backpack that I had given him. "I won't let you die, dummy. I promise."

The mountains were just east of the city, and it was absolutely beautiful out here. Almost all of it was just nature and wildlife, no bright city lights or buzzing from the endless amounts of cars on the freeway. I loved coming here, and it had been way too long since I'd last done it.

About a third's way up the mountain, my calves started burning a little, which wasn't exactly unusual. But Vic, on the other hand, was practically out of breath. I chuckled a little and stopped, turning to him to take the backpack off him. I pulled out a bottle of water and handed it to him.