Don't Starve

*A short story taking place in the Don't Starve world. I wrote this on the scrap piece of paper a teacher gives you before the test, and she ended up throwing it out. When I got home I wrote it down as accurately as I could.*

The fire wavered in the darkness. I moved a little closer, hugging my knees to my chest. My eyes were locked on the fire as I tried to keep warm. A cool breeze swept up behind me and gave me chills. The fire was my friend. The light was my friend.

I shifted closer again as the circle of light around the fire dimmed. The sky was black, not just dark. It seemed like anything beyond the fire was non-existent. I knew that wasn't true, though. I could see the vague outlines of trees and...  other things.

The fire flickered, and I sighed as I threw the last log onto the fire. It burned brighter, sparks flying about. I relaxed a little as the circle of light expanded around the fire.

Then the light music began to play. It was the music that often accompanied a child's toy to lull them to sleep. I stiffened and looked out at the surrounding darkness. A claw-like hand emerged from the darkness. My breath caught in my throat and my eyes widened as it approached. I sat helplessly before it as it move towards my meek fire. It reached out, and as the music reached its loudest, it grabbed my fire.

The light vanished. I clutched at the fabric of my pants and squeezed my eyes shut. The music stopped, the hand vanished.

The growls began.