Chapter 8

HERMIONE'S P.O.V.
----------------------------

"Hermione? Wha-What are you doing here?" Draco asked me.
"I could ask you the same thing," I said evenly, "but I already know why you're here."
He opened his mouth, as if to ask me what I was talking about, but before he could speak, I walked over to him and grabbed his left wrist.
Then I hesitated. I honestly did not want to see what I knew lay hidden underneath his sleeve.
I looked up at him; my eyes catching his.
"Hermione..." he whispered sadly, but appeared to be at a loss for words.
I slowly removed my hand from his wrist, looking at the place where I knew the dark mark was etched onto his skin.
I took a step back, and looked up at him once more.
"Hermione, I'm sorry, I didn't want this to happen," he started. "And I want you know something. I want you to know that I...I want to protect you and, for the time being, this is the only thing that I can think of that will keep you safe."
He reached into his pocket for his wand, but I had seen it coming; we both had had the same idea. Of course we had. 
"Expelliarmus," I said sadly, knowing the moment that I was dreading was now quickly approaching.
Draco's wand flew out of his hand, and into mine. He looked at me with surprise.
"Hermione. I don't want to, but it's the only w-"
"No," I said firmly, cutting him off. "No, it's not. Because...I can't live without you, you aren't like anyone I've ever let into my life, and I don't want to forget you. I can't forget, and I won't let you make me," I knew that saying all these things would just hurt me more in the long run, but I pressed on. "Draco, there is another way. It's actually better since you'll already have enough to be thinking about without having to be sorry about me too..." my voice started shaking, along with the hand I was holding my wand in, which was still raised directly at Draco.
"Hermione...please," Draco begged.
"I'm sorry," I whispered, as a tear slipped down my face.
His mouth opened again, as if to protest, but before he could say anything more, I did it.
"Obliviate," I said, no louder than a whisper.
And I watched as his eyes went from full of hurt and pain and sorrow, to completely distant. I watched as I once again became just the girl Draco Malfoy hated. I lowered my wand. I wiped the tear that was lingering on my cheek.
Then Draco blinked, several times.
I already felt like I didn't even recognize him.
"Wha-" he put his head on his forehead and looked down the street. Then he looked at me, noticing me for the first time. "Granger?" he spat. It took all my power not to completely fall apart right there. "What the bloody-"
"You should go, Malfoy," I said quietly, not looking directly into his eyes, and trying to sound irritated rather than completely shattered. "You wouldn't want to be seen around here. Not in times like these."
He looked like he was about to throw an insult at me, but I hastily turned and walked away.
And I left him standing there, feeling his eyes on me as I went.