Surprises

I wake up, thinking I am in my bed. I attempt to curl into a ball. It doesn't work, it results in me yelping in pain. Where am I? I can't remember anything.

I hear heavy and fast footsteps approach me. I don't know who it is, but I don't even try to look knowing it will hurt due to the way I am laying.

"Rebel! You're awake!" Someone says. The voice is muffled, I can't tell who it is. My face scrunches in confusion. A face comes into view. Zach!

"Zach? Where am I?" I ask completely confused. I can't survey my surroundings. It's best to ask Zach.

Zach frowns, "You don't remember a thing?" I shake my head lightly, suddenly regretting it. "You're in the hospital. You fought Lightning Blast, you didn't lose. You beat him, but he managed to get a few good hits."

It all comes back. I remember it all now. The warmup room, the fight, the victory, then the pain.

"I remember now. Funny how you said you didn't want to haul me off to the hospital." I laugh lightly.

Zach laughs, "Yeah, I hate to see you in this much pain, Rebel. You'll be okay. They said I can take you home tomorrow." I sigh, full of relief.

"Hey, Zach. Can I ask you a question?"

His face begins to fill with worry. "Sure. What's up?"

How do I say this? I sigh, frustrated I didn't think of a way to ask him before.
"When we were talking before the fight, I heard to whisper I love you as I left. What way did you mean that?"

"Oh, you heard that...? Rebel, I've loved you ever since we met. I've just never had the nerve to tell you. This is why it pains me to see you hurt. I'm sorry if I offended you."

"You didn't offend me. You gave me hope, you made me more confident. I won for you, I wanted to impress you. I've loved you for a long time too." I smile, quickly hiding my face in the pillow, covering my blushing.

"Really?!" Zach sounds shocked. I nod my head.

"Zach, can you help me sit up, please?" I ask quickly.

Zach leans over and slowly inches me up into a sitting position. I lean closer to Zach. I hug him. He hugs back.

We pull away, then lean close. He kisses me, making my pain suddenly vanish.