Lies

"Zach, how am I supposed to explain what happened this time?" I ask suddenly remembering that my parents don't know about my street fighting.

"Umm... Maybe that you got into a fight at school?" Zach suggests. It's not a bad idea. The last time I got hurt the excuse was that I "fell down the stairs".

"I guess that's better than the last excuse. Let's go with that." I say, laughing and covering my face.

Zach stifles a laugh. "Yeah, your parents looked at me like I came from Mars when I said you had fallen down the stairs. I don't think they expected such a gracefully person to fall down the stairs and get that hurt."

I laugh, "Yeah, let's hope they buy it this time. How much longer until we get to my house?"

"About ten minutes. How are you holding up?" He asks, taking his eyes off the road to look at me. He has a look of pity on his face.

"I've had worse. I'm okay. The pain is dull right now from all the morphine."
I have a cast on my leg and bandages all along my nose and jaw, I also have to sit up straight due to my ribs.

"That's good. Would you like me to stay the night?"

"That's be great. My parents wouldn't mind. Maybe we could order pizza."

Zach laughs at my humour in a bad situation.

"We're here, Rebel. Are you ready?" Zach turns to me looking nervous.

"I guess. Let's go."

I have trouble getting up the steps. I need to hop on one leg while Zach holds my crutches. I stop on the step and prepare for my next jump, this is very tiring. Zach slings my arm over his shoulder and swiftly, but gently picks me up.

"Thanks, Prince Charming." I say, smiling.

He laughs, "We both know you like it." He lowers his head and kisses me.

We make it up to the top of the steps and Zach rings the doorbell. It takes a minute but my mum finally opens the door. Her smile quickly drops when she sees me.

"What happened this time?" She asks. I hope she doesn't think I'm lying.

"I got into a fight at school yesterday." I innocently smile. "Sorry?" I say.

"Rebel, when are you going to learn that I'm not dumb?" Mum says looking angry.

"What do you mean?" I ask, my heart starts to beat faster. I'm still in Zach's arms. I can hear Zach's heart speed up, too.

"I don't believe what you just told me. What's really going on?"