The Truth Comes Out

"Now tell me, Rebel, why are you always getting hurt?" Mum says, seemingly with no emotion.

I decide it's best not to lie anymore. Here goes nothing.

"Mum, I street fight." That felt good to get off my chest, but it must not have been good for mum.

"You what?!" Mum says sitting up in her seat.

"I've been street fighting for years, mum. I'm sorry I never told you, I just knew you wouldn't agree to it. It was the only way I felt I could do something with my life. I felt like I could show people I was independent and I was strong, that I could fend for my self. Mum, all I wanted was a life. I'm sorry if you don't understand, but I won't stop fighting."

Mum just stares at me. It's as though she's lost her words.

"It's okay, kiddo. Your father and I have always known you've wanted to play a sport or do something of the nature. We just couldn't ever get you to where you needed to be in order to play. I felt like I had failed as a mother. You can continue to fight, if that's what you wish. I just need to know that I won't lose you. Zach will you please keep a watchful eye over her every time she fights?" She seems on the verge of tears.

"Thank you so much, mum. I love you." I lean over cautiously to hug her. She hugs back.

"I love you too. Hey you got dishes to wash, but I'll do it because you're hurt." She laughs. I laugh too.

Zach opens his mouth to speak when suddenly there is a scratching and screeching noise that erupts from the front door.