Chapter 13-Moving On (Part 1)

"Hey Dad, are you ever gunna remarry?" The question caught me completely off guard, and I almost dropped the tool I'd been using. I turned around to find my older son standing in the doorway to my lab.

"Sans! Where did that come from?"

"Well, I don't like seeing you lonely, and I know Papyrus doesn't either. Besides, don't you think he should have two parents?"

"I think I'm doing a fine job, with both of you."

"Well, yeah, but it would still be kind of nice."

"Listen Sans, when you can find me a date, I'll consider it."

"Cool. I'll keep an eyesocket out and get back to you."

***

A week later, I'd almost forgotten about the incident. Sans hadn't said another word about it, but it had opened a new door in my mind. I'd never thought about it before, it felt almost like betraying Helvetica. I decided to forget about it after one to many sleepless nights. After all, how would Sans find someone my age anyway?

"Hey Dad! Guess what? I think I found someone you should give a shot!"

I wasn't expecting it anymore this time then I was the first time. Luckily, I wasn't doing anything important, so it didn't matter that I'd dropped a bowl. Although, one less bowl would be kind of bad. 

"Whoa! Are you okay Gaster?" Scorch asked, following Sans into the kitchen. She was holding Papyrus' hand, and he was grinning just like his brother.

"I'm fine. Sans, what in the Underground are you talking about?"

"You told me if I could find someone, you'd consider it. Well, I found someone!"

"My parents have been split up for a while. My Dad's been really quiet, and I worry about him. A new partner couldn't hurt." Scorch clarified, shrugging slightly.

"We met him on the way home! He was super nice, so I, The Great Papyrus, already approve!" Papyrus said, making Scorch chuckle. 

"Yeah, and then we'd be siblings."

"Really? Wowie, that sounds great! Not as great as me though!" I smiled at all of them, appreciating the offer. I still wasn't sure if I wanted to go, but it was nice to know that they really did care about me.

"I'm flattered. You know, I think I will go." I decided, making all of them smile.

"Great! He's gunna come pick me up later, so you can talk to him then." Scorch said, before running off. Papyrus was dragged behind her, but he didn't seem to mind. However, Sans hung back for a second.

"Y'know, you don't have to do this if you don't want to Dad." He said, smiling at me slightly.

"It's alright Sans. I think its about time I tried this anyway." I said, moving forward to hug him. He hugged back, before running after his friend and brother. I was still a bit uncertain about my decision, but there was no going back now.

***

A few hours later, the doorbell rang. Scorch and Sans got to it first, but I as close behind them. I could feel my soul pounding in my rib cage, but I did my best to ignore it. Scorch dragged her father into the room, and I took a moment to look him up and down.

He was a fire elemental, just like his daughter, but he was the color of actual fire, unlike Scorch, who was green. He was wearing a suit and a pair of glasses, making him look rather intelligent. I knew little to nothing about him, but I could already admit that he wasn't unpleasing to the eye, so I didn't regret my decision.    

"Dad, this is Dr. Gaster, Sans dad. He said he would mind a date or two." Scorch said, winking at her father. I could feel my cheekbones growing slightly warm, and I hoped they weren't turning red. The other man seemed unfazed by the comment, likely used to them by now.

"Its a pleasure to meet you Dr. Gaster. Please excuse my daughter, she's always a bit forward. My name is Grillby. I hope you'll call me that instead of 'Dad'." Grillby said, making me chuckle. He extended his hand and I shook it.

"The pleasure is all mine. Don't worry about your daughter, she's only telling the truth." I replied. Sans and Scorch both grinned at me from behind Grillby's back, which made me smile a little as well.

"I see. Well, are you free this Friday?" He asked, and Sans nodded. My only real issue is watching Papyrus, and if Sans is fine with watching him, then I'm free.

"Sure. What time?"

"How does six sound? I'll come pick you up."

"Sounds alright to me." I said, smiling at him. He smiled back at me, before turning around. "Well, we'll get out of your hair."

"We don't have any." Sans pointed out, making Scorch chuckle.

"Metaphorically then." Grillby said, smiling at me one more time before he left the house.

"See ya Sans!" Scorch said, before following her father out of the Lab. I closed the door behind them, before turning to Sans. 

"So, what do you think?" He asked, smiling up at me.

"Well, I have to say, he seems pleasant enough." I said, moving through the house.

"Dad? Are you gunna go?" Papyrus poked his head out of the doorway to the stairs. I smiled at him, going over and picking him up.

"Of course I am."

"Yay! I'm glad you're gunna be happy Dad. Scorch's dad is super nice, you two will be best friends super fast!" He said as I walked up the stairs, Sans following. 

"I'm sure we will be." I replied, smiling at his innocence. I set him down on the floor of his room and he ran over to his bed.

"Dad, tell me a story!" He said, grinning at me.

"Alright. What story do you want to hear?"

"Make one up!"

"Well, alright. Once upon a time, there was a lonely skeleton."

"You could say he was, 'bonely'!" 

"Sans! Your puns are so bad!"

"He looked all over for a friend, until one day..."