Chapter 21-Falling

"Alright Sans, this is the Core." I said, gesturing to the giant machine. "It's almost complete, just a few more issues to work out with the generator, and then bam! Electricity for the entire Undergroud." I smiled as my son as he looked over the machine.

"It's almost as big as Hotland." He said, turning to look at me. He smiled to, his usual huge grin. I nodded, before walking towards it.

"Shall we?"

"Lets."

 I lead him through the machine, past multiple guards. They all saluted me, and I nodded back. Sans looked around at them all, and I smiled at him. He may have been almost eleven, but he still acted like a child sometimes. Eventually we reached the area ice fell into the machine.

"Without all the ice from Snowdin, the machine would overheat, and there's a chance it could even explode. It's a small chance, but that doesn't matter. It's still a chance we don't want to take." I said. Sans nodded, and I let him wonder off to explore. I began speaking with a few of the guards, mostly about getting the generator out of the machine to work on it. It was a very heavy section, and I couldn't lift it alone, even with my magic. I couldn't get down in the machine either. I have no idea what those high levels of magic could do to a Monster's Soul, and I didn't really want to find out.

I waved at them as they left to pull of the piece. I began to follow the foot prints in the thick mats to find Sans. I didn't want him exploring to much and doing something dangerous. I followed him past the sign about the path of the warrior. I'd put the signs up in irony, and also to asses the thought of my fellow coworkers. It's interesting how much people will listen to signs. I hoped Sans hadn't seen the signs, and hadn't picked this path on purpose. I eventually found him, but not where I'd like to have. He was standing on the edge of the path, leaning over the steaming generator.

"Sans, be careful!" I called, moving forward. But I was to late. My shout frightened him and he began to fall. I rushed forward, before realizing that I wouldn't make it in time. I reached out with my magic, grabbing his Soul. I still slide across the floor, cursing myself for not putting mats in here. I threw Sans against the opposite wall, but I was too late for myself. 

I summoned a Gaster Blaster as I fell, and sent it up after Sans. Someone had to look after him until he was old enough to look after himself and Papyrus. I'd rather Grillby be the one to do it, but the possibilities of my Soul falling in the Core were to great, and there was no way of knowing what might happen to people I know.

I fell into the generator, and I couldn't stop the nightmarish scream I let out. I could feel my Soul splitting into thousands of pieces, being pulled apart but the section of the generator that distributed the magical electricity to all of the Undergroud.

Everything was silent.

The generator began to run perfectly, letting out an untraceable chemical which caused mild amnesia along with the electricity. 

And with each machine powering on for the first time, people forgot the Royal Scientist, W. D. Gaster. 

Except for the young monster who'd seen his father, half of his family, destroyed.

The skeleton clung to the only thing he had to remember his father by, the powerful piece of magic he'd left behind. And he vowed, then and there, to bring his father back.