Chapter One

The world is now a different place. My parents used to say that, the world before the war was very different. They didn't had different societies like us and a certain government had their rule. I also get curious when my father talk about it. But now it is just a history we learn in our school. But its still amusing to me.

That was our history, but in the era I live we have four different societies. The Arcane, who are the intellects, who are suppose to do inventions and improve our technology. The Veracity who are truthful and factual, who are trusted with judgements and justice of our societies. The Altruist who are selfless and only care about others, are the ones who serve and help the societies. And the Valiant who are brave and fearless, who are the protector of the societies, this is where I belong. My father is one of the Valiant candidate in the council which runs all of our societies.

Being a Valiant is difficult yet very challenging, we have to face things which are very dangerous. And fear or giving up is not an option its just against our ethics. But I love being a Valiant, I am still young but there have been some times when I had to face death, and it is really thrilling.

My thoughts were interrupted when my sister called me for dinner. She is just a year older than me but sometimes I feel she is lot more older than me.

"Sapphira your sister was telling me that you again skipped your classes and climbed up your school building with that friend of yours." My mother said calmly. I glared at Irina who had her smuggled smile. "Mom I was just sick of studying, I promise I won't do it again." I promised, even though I knew she knows I would probably do it again.

I was never like my sister. She is obedient and confident whereas I'm just rebellious and reckless. Me and my best friend Caleb always used to climb up our school building whenever we wanted to be alone it was our peaceful place.

I heard my door bell ring as Caleb entered along with my father.
"Ready to go?" Caleb asked. "Yeah let's go, I'll just bring my bag." I quickly went upstairs to my room. I grabbed my bag and started to walk down stairs. I heard my father and Caleb's muffled voices. I stopped on the last staircase as I heard my father speaking.
"Are they really hunting down the Aberrants?" Dad said.
"Yes that's what I've heard my father saying" Caleb replied.
"Then I have to discuss this situation with your father and Peter"
"I have heard that the Aberrants are planning to hunt down all the rumour spreader in Arcane, is that true?" Caleb asked.
"I'm afraid so it is" I heard my father's disappointment.

I came out as I saw both my parents and Caleb with a serious face. "Let's go" I said as I walked out of my house with Caleb trailing behind me. As we both got into the bus I finally broke the silence, " What is Aberrant? " He looked at with concern, "So you heard it!" He was quite , as I gave him a questioning look.

"Well its a long story..." He hesitated. " I have time" I said as I started walking to the back side of our school from where we usually climb up, with Caleb defeated trailing behind with no other choice.

I hope you liked it! Please keep reading!
Feel free to comment! Xo