Suddenly Ten Years Old

(The classroom buzzes with excited children choosing their seats. Simon nervously saves a seat for Barley. Barley smiles then turns away. Simon suddenly looks up.)

Barley: Sorry Simon. I promised Evelyn I would sit with her.

Simon: But...

(Some watchers snigger. Meanwhile, Barley takes a seat next to a blond, tanned girl who grins warmly. Evelyn pulls out a white envelope. Simon overhears what they say.)

Evelyn: I'm having a party on Saturday. It's going to be really nice; Mum's arranging balloons and cake and chocolate and pass the parcel!

Barley: That sounds brilliant.

Evelyn: You'll be missing out if you don't go. Everyone's coming. (Than she anxiously adds) Except Simon.

(Barley looks down disappointed.)

Barley: Oh. Do not worry though. I will still come.

Evelyn: Yeah, I know you like Simon. I do too. But Mother thinks he's a bit rough. Don't tell Simon that. I don't want to hurt his feelings. He's really nice.

(Barley smiles, grateful for Evelyn's kindness.)

Two Days Later

(Barley waits on a hill for Simon. He arrives. They are both alone.)

Barley: Why did you do that Simon?

Simon: She didn't invite me.

Barley: I thought I told you. Her mother wouldn't let you come because there wasn't enough room and she was really sorry....

Simon: No! That isn't the case. Evelyn doesn't like me. I know she doesn't.

Barley: You didn't need to wreck her party.

(Barley remembers Simon smashing the window and knocking the cake over and throwing valuables into a black sack he was carrying. She remembers him whacking the furniture with a baseball bat with dirt on his face and a headband to make himself look cool.)

Simon: It was only a little bit of fun.

Barley: Then you wonder why people think you're rough.

Simon: Are we still friends?

Barley: Simon...

Simon: It's okay. Just say it.

Barley: Remember when we were young and you told me you were so strong that you could stop anything you wanted from taking place?

Simon: I remember.

Barley: Well you were wrong. You can't stop yourself from growing up. We've been growing up all this time, getting taller and getting smarter. Suddenly I understand what people mean when they say to grow up is to experience the greatest tragedy.

Simon: What are you talking about? Where is the tragedy in growing up?

Barley: Everything! The idea of leaving your parents! The idea of having to worry! The idea of having to be strong! The idea of independence! I can't stand it.

Simon: I want to grow up.

Barley: You said you had grown up and were a man. I'm glad you finally realise that you are really just a boy.

Simon: I'm not just a boy. I'm more now. I'm older. I'm bigger. I'm STRONGER.

Barley: No you're not. We said some silly things when we were younger. We said we would go against the world together. I said I would be there always for you as a friend. You said you would never do anything reckless. You broke your promise.

Simon: I'm sorry. I'll never do anything like it again.

Barley: But you will...

Simon: Anyway, I just need to know. Are we still friends?

Barley: We're friends.

One Day Later

(Barley waits for Simon in the usual place. She looks round impatiently. She wonders to herself how many times it has been this way - her waiting for Simon. She spots a boy who looks similar to Simon. He has red hair and freckles just like Simon but is tidier and his hair is combed back too neatly to be Simon... except.)

Barley: Simon?

Simon: I know. For the first time in forever, I decided to be tidy.

Barley: Oh Simon. You actually look a little if only a tad bit handsome!

Simon: I don't want to be the rough boy anymore. I'm going to keep my promise this time.