[IV.] Two Reunions

JOHN HELD THE LIGHTER in his hand, the light flickering on his face as he slowly stepped forward. He dropped it, shoving his hands into his pockets as he regarded her coolly.

Oh, she was going to kill him. She was going to kill that man.

"John," she said. "What are you doing here?"

He raised his hands, quickly, taking a step back. "Zee, you know I think you're drop dead gorgeous when your eyes glow, but it usually means you're going to kill someone."

"Makes you wonder why they're glowing, John ."

"Listen, love, I was just stopping by to see if you were okay-"

"If I'm okay? If I'm okay?" she said. She pointed at the chair next to her. "Tih mih."

It flew up in the air, soaring at him. He dove out of the way as it splintered on the wall beside him.

"Alright," he said, standing back up slowly. "I may have deserved that."

"Last time I saw you, you left me in the middle of the night, while we were literally in Hell ."

"I knew you'd be fine!" he said. "I was right, wasn't I? We both made it."

"You didn't even say goodbye! I woke up and you were gone!"

He rubbed the back of his neck, looking at the ground. "Yeah. Alright. That was not my finest moment."

"Not to mention the time before, skipping town while I was in the hospital after saving you from one of your stupid plans-"

"Zee-"

"Or wait! The time before that when you nearly summoned a demon that would have eaten my house-"

"I get your point, Zee," he said. "I'm an idiot."

"Damn right you are," she said, turning back to her mirror, crossing her arms. In the corner of her eye, she saw him looking at her. She waved her hand. "Riahc dliuber." The chair reformed, dropping next to her again, complete and whole. Collapsing into it, she rubbed her forehead.

Oh, Dinah was going to wish she didn't give her full reign on ranting about "boy problems". This called for a girls night with wine and romcoms as soon as they figured where those kids were going.

He was wearing that sad, desperate look on his face, the one that made her truly believe he wanted to do good, the one he knew that pulled on her heart. Goddamn him and his sad looks.

"Come on, Zee," he said, taking another step forward.

"Fuck you, Constantine," she said, shutting her eyes.

"This city is sick, Zee," he said. "This city is sick, and I'm just making sure you're okay."

"No shit this city is sick," she said. "It's Gotham."

"You know what I mean," he said. "I know you've felt it. Sick on a cosmic level. Sick to the bone. Magic here is wrong."

"Yeah," she said, sighing. "Yeah. Of course I've felt it."

He knelt in front of her, his eyes wide.

"It's getting worse. Everyone's been avoiding Gotham. All of our kind. They all feel it. Fate. Brand. Xanadu. Lucifer. Blood and his yellow friend, the fairies, the demons, the angels. Hell, I hear even the Endless drift in less, and yet here you are, at the epicenter."

"Corrigan's still here."

"And you think that's a good thing?" he said. He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. "You want to be near him when it's time for his alter ego comes out to play? In a city like Gotham? It'll be Coast City all over again."