Brothers?

May 2006

It had been six months since Owen and Sean were paired up on the Boys and Girls Club Mission. They found out that the Director of Sports was innocent, but the Director of Child Services, Trey Jones, was funneling the charitable donations money into his own personal bank account in the Cayman Islands while leaving the Boys and Girls Club staff to their own fate with what little funds they received from the government.

Trey had worked his whole career with a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. But a year ago, Trey had been informed that he would no longer receive the retirement pension he had been paying into his whole working career. How was he going to survive, now that he was 63, without any savings. No one would hire him in his older years, except maybe Walmart or Target. But who wants to be a greeter or a cashier until their dying day? Not Trey.

His plan was made. In a year's time, he would have enough to retire on. His children were grown and his wife had died of cancer, which took all the money he had saved outside of his retirement pension, three years ago. No way would he burden his children with having to support him in his golden years. A half million would be sufficient for his needs. Trey would sell his house, his car, and enjoy retirement in Panama. That was until those two brats, Owen and Sean, came into his club.

The Academy council brought Harvey Simons, their very own detective, in on the official take down. This was an epic move for Harvey, making him the next Chief of Police for Charleston. Sean and Owen were brought in to the council to be given accolades and officially wipe their debt clean.

Sean had placed a call to Phil the morning of the council meeting, asking if Phil would meet with he and Owen, before the official council briefing. Phil agreed, and chuckled under his breath, 'what will those two be up to now?'

Phil met with Sean and Owen twenty minutes before the council meeting. What surprised him the most was how they seemed to enter his office with the same determination set on their faces, looking every bit a United front. "To what do I owe the honor of your presence?" Phil smiled happily. He figured since they didn't kill each other, they must have formed a bonding familial friendship, instead.

"Dr. Roberts," Owen began, "Sean Green and myself request a change of teams."

"Alright. Do both of you just want to change to a different team or do you want to be placed on a team together?" Phil was clarifying exactly what their request might be. He hoped they would request to stay together. Owen's psychologist has been ecstatic about Owen's progress since he and Sean began working together. And I have noticed, when Sean is in the hospital, he seems more focused than before.

"Together." Sean spoke quickly and smiled slightly, until Owen glanced at him sideways. Sean wiped the smile from his face, going into serious mode. Phil had to stop himself from laughing.

"Yes, as my colleague Sean so eagerly told you, we would request to be together on a team. But furthermore, we request to be our OWN team."

Phil held his hand up, "Wait now boys. I know you have proved your worth, and nothing would make me happier than to see the two of you work as a team, become family to one another, but you don't get to be on your own. You are both just 11." Phil really would like to see them as their own team, but knows the other council members would never agree to such a request.

"Phil, would we at least be able to stay together, whether we have to team up with other, older members, or not?" Sean asked, sounding like the young boy that he really is.

With all sincerity, Phil made eye contact first with Sean and then with Owen. "I promise, your request to be your own team will come to fruition. Just not today. I give you my word."

"No more than two years, Dr. Roberts. We are our own team within two years." Owen demanded with an air of authority I have never before seen in one so young. Sean stood next to him, shoulders back, giving a nod of agreement.

Yes, together these two will make a fine team. And apparently, if my memory serves me correctly, they will add five others to their team.

"Agreed." Phil extended his hand, since his word is his bond. "Go on to the council meeting. I'll be right behind you. But first, I have to shut my computer down."

The boys left and Phil quickly pulled up the ancient computer, dialing up the old fashioned way. This has become the best part of Phil's day, seeing moments of the future. Just as he hoped, there was a posting. This time it was a side by side picture of two boys about the same age as Sean and Owen right now. One a blonde, skinny boy, the other an angry looking dark haired boy. The caption I wrote was:

'Brothers you say? Can you guess whose older? Hahahahaha!'