Chapter 6

As they arrived back at Zacharie's shop, The Batter carried Zacharie inside, basically letting himself in. He walked over to one of the available cushioned surfaces and gently placed him down. Normally, he would just fling him into the air and watch him plop down with the surface breaking under the weight, but he decided that it would be a little too harsh, considering the fact that his arm was broken, and he had been through a lot emotionally and mentally, even. With that, The Batter walked into the back room where all the items Zacharie sold were kept. They were stacked high up on shelves, some even exceeding the ceiling. He walked around, and while he did, he stumbled upon Zacharie's toad mask he was polishing less than twenty four hours ago before he bombarded in. He bent down to pick it up, and heard Zacharie tapping his foot at the entry way. The Batter turned around to face him, a quizzical expression on his face.

"I see you have woken up."

He pointed out.

"Yuh huh."

Zacharie snapped back, walking into his office and snatching his mask from The Batter's hands.

"I was going to pick that up for you."

The Batter said, not bothering to start up a fight.

"Yeah okay."

He scoffed, tying the string around his head.

"Now if you will excuse me, I have some work to do here."

The Batter moved out of his way and sat down in the chair parallel from the large office desk, similar to one a principal would use at a school.

"I know you must feel dreadful after all that has occurred between you and Deda-"

Zacharie leaned forward and smacked The Batter across the face.

"Look, I don't want to talk about it. All I can tell you is that I am seriously not in a jaunty mood right now."

The Batter rubbed his cheek, staring at Zacharie in pity.

"I can help you."

"NO. You can't. No one can. No one's ever been able to."

He retorted, reclining back in his seat.

"If you would listen to me-"

"You know what? Just SHUT UP. LEAVE. WHATEVER."

The Batter was silent. There was no use arguing over him. He knew that what had happened up on the roof of the Library was something none of them should have ever gone through. Zacharie should have never met the Bad Batter, he didn't have to be called from his infamous villain nickname, The Puppeteer, he didn't need to remember his past, none of it. Dedan and Japhet must have planned something, and they must have done it on purpose to try and point out something in their future. Nothing was learned that day, what could they possibly not be getting? The Batter leaned forward and grabbed the portable radio from the far left corner of the desk. He fiddled around with the knob, tuning into some stations, and stopped at one once he heard radio broadcasted sirens.

"Attention everyone! There has been a sighting of a creature's skeleton spotted at the top of the Zone 2 Library. The Library has been temporarily shut down. Some say that there were two young men, a bird the size of a Phoenix, and a six foot tall cloaked man. Minutes later, they said that one of the men turned into a ferocious monster, which they are claiming is a foreboding of the end of the world,"

Zacharie stared at the miniature radio, as did The Batter by this point.

"I am now being told by some of the young of this town that the young man being held over the ledge from afar was none other than The Puppeteer who hasn't been sighted by the public in eight years. Can this really be true? Everyone, lock your doors! The Puppeteer has returned!"

The Batter shut off the radio before he could hear anymore.

"People actually… Saw that?"

Zacharie asked no one in particular.

"I suppose they did. I can't quite put my finger on who the 'ferocious monster' was, however."

The Batter pondered. Zacharie gave him a look that said it-was-obviously-you-dumbass, but The Batter didn't seem to catch it.

"I guess all we can do now is hide in my shop."

"We are not going to hide. I am not the one who hides. I am the one that purifies. I am taking you to a public museum so you and I can see some history."

"There is no history."

"Don't complain. You're coming with me."

The Batter shot up from his chair and walked over to the left side of Zacharie's chair, looming over him.

"Excuse me, dear Batter, but I am temporarily handicapped, I can't go anywhere in the public."

The Batter picked up Zacharie in a bridal fashion and walked out the office and to the front door.

"Don't pull that excuse on me."

He said darkly, opening up the front door with his foot, surprisingly not falling back, but for Zacharie, it was like a wild roller coaster ride.

"Careful, mi amigo!"

"I know what I'm doing."

The Batter walked his way to the museum, for it was not far, and he was used to walking everywhere. Zacharie got bored fairly quickly, and began flicking The Batter's hat, laughing every time The Batter tried to stop him by biting his finger.

"You're silly."

Zacharie would always say, and The Batter would give an eye roll in response.