Chapter 3

When the two of them reached the Post Office, it was busy as all get out. Elsen everywhere were working their tails off trying to deliver, stamp, and box the mail. Zacharie hid his face in his sweater at first as he attempted to fix the string on the mask. The Batter led him to where they needed to go for the time being, as he examined each Elsen curiously.

"They must be busy."

He remarked.

"No kidding. Just imagine doing this every day for a living. I would die."

"You already make a good enough living selling items. You don't have to think about going into the postage industry."

"Right on."

Zacharie finally fixed the string on his mask and put it over his head, adjusting it onto his face.

"Alrighty, I'm good."

The two of them continued walking onward, going into the elevator and to the room where you would receive any boxes or letters. They didn't exactly send it to your location as they used to before the specters invaded, but some Elsen found it easier to operate this way, where you entered the post office and picked up your mail for the day. The Batter walked up to the counter where the Elsen was standing, and looked down at him.

"I am here to receive a package."

"Very well… Hhhhhhh… What is your name?"

The Elsen asked him.

"I am The Batter."

The Elsen searched through the conveyor belt of boxes and pulled out a small box with claw marks on them.

"From a man who calls himself The Judge, sir…. Hhhhhhhh…"

The Batter took the box from the little Elsen and handed it to Zacharie to hold.

"Oh, that's real nice."

He retorted, rolling his eyes.

"Don't complain."

The Elsen went to grab a letter from the conveyor belt and walked around the counter and to Zacharie. He looked down at the Elsen, and bent down.

"What is it, buddy?"

He asked.

"You…. You have an important letter, mister…. Hhhhhhhhhhhh…"

"Important letter, huh? I never get any mail. Wonder who it could be from?"

Zacharie wondered, glaring up at The Batter, who gave him a stern stare in return. The Elsen walked back behind the counter and disregarded their presence. Zacharie ripped open the letter and scanned through the sloppy handwriting, which soon turned into delicate cursive. The letter read:

Dear Mister Zacharie, the salesman,

Come to the top of the Library Thursday night at 8. We have a serious topic to discuss with you. COME. ALONE. Sincerely, Dedan and Japhet.

Zacharie eyed the letter curiously and handed it to The Batter.

"Do you know who 'Dedan' and 'Japhet' are?"

His eyes widened. He remembered Zacharie mentioning a cloaked man and an abnormally large bird. It was them.

"You won't believe me when I tell you this, but it's the cloaked man and the unhumanly large bird."

Zacharie's heart skipped a beat. He stood there, as if he were frozen in time, but in this case, frozen in fear.

"What do they want with me? They already did something to me that I haven't been able to erase! It might be another permanent scar or-"

"They won't do that. Not with me around."

The Batter guaranteed, as Zacharie gave him a quick hug.

"Thank you, mi amigo."

The two of them proceeded out of the room and headed down the elevator.

"It's 7:30. We should get going to the Library."

The Batter pointed out.

"Good idea. To the car on the zip line we go!"

Zacharie jousted, running into the car and typing in a code that would take them to the library. The Batter followed in after him.