Chapter 3: The Bum Crowd

“I can’t believe you are dragging me out here,” Willa said as we were on our way to the Brooklyn harbor, “Do you know what my mother would say if she knew I was out here?”

                “I do know,” I said, “Why do you think we didn’t tell her?”

                “Why are we even going to hang out with these boys? Just because one of them was nice to you yesterday?”

                “I promised him I would go and you would come with me. I don’t break my promises. And stop being so scared. Live a little.”

                Willa sighed and tried to keep up with me as I walked faster. We reached the Brooklyn harbor. We walked through fishes and clams until we reached where a whole bunch of boys were in the water or sitting around on the dock. The boys looked at us as we passed. I was a little frightened until I saw someone I knew.

                “Hey, Race,” I said, going over to him.

                “Hey, Sadie,” he said, “Whatcha doin’ here?”

                “You told me to come hang out with the bum crowd sometime, so here I am.”

                “Guess you took my advice to heart. Who’s the girl?” He pointed to Willa.

                “This is my best friend, Willa. Willa, this is Racetrack.”

                “Racetrack?” Willa asked.

                “It’s another nickname. Have you seen Crutchie?”

                “He’s over there,” Race said, “Ya got the hots for him or somethin’?”

                “No. But from what I heard, you got the hots for some girl.”

                “She’s over there.”

                I followed his gaze to a pretty girl with brown hair and green eyes. She was talking to another girl with brown hair. I recognized who he was talking about instantly. “Sydney Pulitzer? Your girlfriend is Sydney Pulitzer?”

                “Yeah, what’s it to you?”

                “Her dad is the most powerful man in New York. How did you ever get to be his daughter’s bo?”

                “It’s a long story.”

                He blew out cigar smoke and walked passed us. Willa grabbed my arm. “Kids who smoke cigars?” she said, “I really don’t want to be here.”

                “What do you think they’re going to do to you, Willa?” I asked, “They’re a bunch of kids.”

                “They’re also a bunch of boys.”

                “So what? They’re no different than us. Just trust me.”

                I dragged her over to where Crutchie was. Crutchie was standing with three other boys. One was tall with blond hair. He had a red bandanna tied around his neck and a cowboy hat hanging from his back. The other one was a little shorter with curly hair and blue eyes. The last one was the shortest and also looked like the youngest. He had pale blue eyes and a hard look to him. Strapped to his belt loop was a cane and a slingshot hung from his pocket. Crutchie smiled at me when he saw me.