Chapter 8: Lion With A Limp

The next day, Crutchie and I headed to Brooklyn. The Brooklyn boys were bigger than Jack’s gang of newsies but I knew they were harmless as long as you didn’t mess with them. Les and Spot were waiting for us at the docks. There was a boat stopped next to them.

                “Ya seriously doin’ dis?” Spot asked us.

                “Yeah,” I said, “I’m not going to live with my aunt.”

                “Ya know there are other ways of hiding,” Les said, “I’ve had to hide in the shows myself before.”

                “I know. But knowing my aunt, she’ll have the national guard looking for me.”

                “Alright den,” Spot said, “Dis is da boat dats gonna take ya to Jersey. It’s a freight boat so you’ll have to lay low. Da boys on freights usually check for stowaways. Once ya get ta Jersey, there’s a cabin in da woods. Nobody’s lived in it for years. It’s right next to dis big oak tree. Its bigger den all da other ones so ya won’t miss it.”

                “Thanks, Spot.”

                “Dats one crazy girl ya got Crutchie. I thought my girl was crazy.” Les punched him in the arm making him flinch and grab it in pain. “Ouch. I was just kiddin’ babe.”

                “Just ya were,” Les scoffed.

                I helped Crutchie climb into the loading hatch of the boat. It was beneath the boat but still had windows for air. After he was in, I climbed inside myself. Spot closed the door for us. Crutchie and I huddled into the corner behind some boxes. Maybe the people who checked the boats wouldn’t see us this far over. People who had to check things usually didn’t check everything. They got lazy and just looked in the front. Crutchie stretched out his leg. He started to rub it and I could see the pain is hid face.

                “Are you alright?” I asked.

                “Yeah,” he said, “I’m fine. I just gotta massage this leg a mine a bit. It really hurts sometimes.”

                “You didn’t have to come with me.”

                “Ya I did. I ain’t gonna let ya roam Jersey witout me. It’ll be just like an adventure. Like in dem comic books dey got at the store. ‘Cept I never really get to read those cause the manager always chases us out.”

                “People really don’t like you do they? Not even because you’re a cripple?”

                “I think they don’t like me more cause I’m a gip. Gips don’t get no special treatment. People usually forget about us cause we can’t do nothin’ so we’re worthless ta dem.”

                “It’s not your fault about your leg.”

                “Ya I know dat, but the people don’t. I still get a good amount of money though. You know from old ladies and old men dat feel sorry for me. That’s why I sell in front of the barbershop. A lot of old men go in dere. ‘Cept I don’t know what for. Dey don’t got no hair.”

                I laughed. “I can’t imagine what live in the streets is like. I’ve always been able to get whatever I wanted.”

                “Well, in da streets, ya learn how to take and buy what ya need. All of us have stole somethin’ at least once. Mostly we steal food. We all gotta eat.”

                “You’re one of the bravest people I’ve ever met Crutchie. You’re disabled but you don’t let it stop you. You’re like a lion with a limp.”

                “I like lions.”

                I giggled and laid my head on his shoulder. The boat took off towards Jersey. I felt a little sea sick as it moved. Crutchie tried to distract me by telling me stories about some of the things the newsies had done together. It seemed like newsies had some exciting times despite the fact that they were all poor. The stories also made me feel guilty. I had taken Crutchie away from that life. A life with his friends and the good times to run away with me. I was starting to feel very selfish. I know he wanted to come, but did I make the right choice by letting him.