{Chapter Five}

Brian sat me down and held me. Trying to get me to meet his warming gaze. I was shaking, "Have fun."  What did Jared mean?

"Haley, please look at me. Your scaring me." Brian says, grabbing my attention. "What did he mean?" Brian added.

I broke down right there, Brian reacted by wrapping me in his tattooed arms. "Are you okay, Haley?" Zacky's sober-ish voice asks.

Instead of answering, I leave Brian's hold and walk out the bar. I let the welled up tears fall and I headed  home.

"Haley! Wait, where are you going?" Brian calls behind me. I push my way through the now crowded sidewalk.

I kept my arms wrapped around my waist and kept walking against the current of people. I was suddenly spun around and seen Brian standing there, a concerned look on his face. I know the guys are behind him, staring at the back of Brian's head.

"What the hell is going on?" Brian said, breaking the trance his eyes put me in. I shake my head and avert my eyes, "It's something I don't like to think about." I confess.

He furrows his eyebrows, "What do you mean?" I look at his tattooed arms crossed over his chest. "You won't understand..." Brian sighs at my reply.

"I'd like too, if you'd let me." I met his eyes that are filled with sadness and worry. I just shake my head in reply. "I-I can't....I just can't." I turn back around and head to my apartment.

I don't turn back, as much as I want. I don't. As much as I want to run back to Brian and tell him everything, I don't. I keep walking and see my building just a few feet down from the stop sign. I sigh as I open the building door and look to the elevator. Always out of order. I start to walk up the stairs and regret the past five minutes. I go up the first few steps, I hope it not too late to go back. I'm at the second floor, Is Brian still there by chance? I look down the hall to my apartment down the hall, to the right. It's definitely too late now... I open the door with a deep breath.

Karla looks up from some paperwork and gapes. Is it that obvious?! "What happened Haley? Your makeup is streaming!" I guess it is. I sit down on the couch and throw my purse off my shoulder. I look at her and her face is twisting in concern. "It was Jared, wasn't it?" she finally asks. I avert my gaze in response.

"I knew it..." Karla whispered to herself. I sigh and nod, I know she's still looking at me. "What did he say to you, sugar?"

I cringe and slowly open my eyes to look at my shaking palms. "He knows about Lucas.....and he said he's been looking for me for awhile. He also said he'll get a way to get Lucas here, to make my life more than living hell...." I say, throat burning.

Karla scoots next me, and pulls me into a tight embrace. She whispers, "Your too good to be treated like that...then and now. But I know you'll find that someone to protect you." I pull away just a bit and see a tear down her left cheek.

I wipe it away, "I know that too." Karla looks at me, "What do you mean, sugar?" I smile slightly. Thinking about Brian, his warm smile comes to mind.

"I met someone on Friday. And he apparently was the one who helped me with the Jared thing today. Him and his friends." Karla smirks.

"Well! What's his name?" I laugh and look at the carpet. Our feet dangling from the couch, merely touching the ground. "Brian.." I whisper so lightly that I barely hear it. "Brian?" she repeats.

I nod and look at Karla. She has a look I've never seen before. And it makes me nervous, and that makes me blush. "Is my lovely friend in love already?" I blush more. "I just met him." And I just started dating him this morning, actually.

"You left your phone here this morning." Karla tells me, nodding to the table. I look and see it, sitting in the spot she says its in. I pick it up and see two missed calls from Emily.

"Ah, shit. I better call her back." I say, mostly to myself. I dial the number and wait for her to pick up.

"What the hell Haley?!" I sigh and see Karla trying not to laugh. "I know, i know. I left my phone here on the table this morning." She scowls. "I thought you worked afternoons, that's why I called." I head to the kitchen and open up the fridge. I frown when it's empty, "Today was different."

"Why?" Emily asks, the annoyance in her voice obvious. "Johnny was gone from work all weekend, and so was I. So I cleaned up the store a bit with Brian." I hear silence for just a second. "Okay....first of all. Why were you gone? And second of all, who's Brian?" I smile at the mention of his name. "Okay, well some bikers thought it would be funny to really bruise my wrist. And Brian is one of Johnny's really good friends."

"Sure..." Emily says, the laugh at the end of it. "Anyway, enough questions for me today. How's life for you little sis?" She does her little thing, that shows she didn't want to be asked. "Terrible, your so lucky you have the money to move! I wish I did!" I laugh. "Then I'll send you some money." Emily gives me a skeptical sound. "I don't want your money, we ain't kids no more." I laugh more and see Karla with a raised brow. I mouth the words, 'I'm going to the store'. She nods and I grab my hoodie. I head down the stairs. "I'm surprised you grew up."

"Same here, you here with some guy named Brian!" I smile wider. "He's just a friend." I say. "Mmmhmmm......for now..." I laugh and open the door to the building. The sun sets into the building setting.

"Your gonna hold me to that, aren't you?" I ask. "Yes ma'am!" I laugh, getting some pedestrian attention. "Well sweetie, I gotta go. I'll call you later. Okay?" I say. "Okay, I miss you Haley. Talk to you later." I smile sadly, "I miss you too. Bye." I hang up and continue to the parking space Karla has for the truck.