Chapter 18

"Hey, guys! Let's hangout after school today."

Shelley sat down across from us in our usual cafeteria table, smiling brightly. She seemed to have completely forgotten about what happened last night. Either she was really good at pretending, or she truly didn't care.

"I hope we aren't carpooling this time because I don't appreciate being stranded today as well." I said, then immediately felt guilty. Was I being too petty?

No, I told myself, she was in the wrong now. I didn't need to feel guilty.

Savannah exchanged a look with me. I had already told her what went down yesterday, and like my sister, she was also irritated that Shelley would do something like that. She claimed that what Jace did was actually an eye-opener for us. Maybe we were being too naïve by catering to her wishes and opinions every time.

"Oh, my God, Alyssa!" Shelley laughed. "You're so petty, you're still hanging onto that."

Savannah opened her mouth to say something, but I held onto her hand. There was no point in explaining something to someone who wasn't even trying to understand. All we'd succeed in doing would be creating even more rifts in our bond of friendship.

Without engaging with her further, Savannah and I excused ourselves from the table and headed for our classes. The rest of the day, we tried to avoid Shelley as much as possible until we couldn't anymore after the sounding of the final bell. We were reluctantly waiting for her near my car when suddenly two palms closed over Savannah's eyes from behind her.

I gasped at the sight of Kate.

Kate was here? Outside our school?

"Kate! Oh, my God!" Savannah gasped and gripped her hands in hers. Kate kissed her for a few seconds.

Kate grinned widely. "Yes! I came a day before to surprise you and I'm taking you both to lunch, my treat."

"You are so perfect!" I sniffled and hugged her.

Savannah was smiling tearfully and shouted. "Group hug!"

We laughed and hugged each other. It was then Kate noticed someone behind us.

It was Shelley standing there with a shocked face.

"Oh, Shelley," Kate said uncomfortably.

Shelley's face twitched. "I'm in for this... treat as well."

The tension in the air was so palpable, you could practically see it, I couldn't let this tension build up anymore. So, I took the initiative to do something.

"So, Kate, how's school?" I asked Kate.

She made a face. "Eh, it's boring."

"Boring is watching the Old Witch trying to pretend she isn't an old witch." Savannah added, shrugging her shoulders.

I laughed. "That doesn't even make sense!"

"Is she still doing that?" Kate exclaimed.

I nodded. "And still very scary. She could actually be doing voodoo magic."

"You never know."

Savannah nudged Shelley. "Remember that time we—"

"Why are you still dating her?" Shelley asked slowly.

I frowned at her. "What kind of a question is that?"

"She's like a chipmunk, a blonde chipmunk. Why are you dating her? And Alyssa, you like her better than me, don't you? Kate, why are you dating her? She's so stupid, it's offending. How does she even look in front of me?" Shelley said all that, referring to Savannah.