[5] Watching You

Chapter Five

"Alex!" Susan sobbed as she ran into his arms.

"What is it baby?" Alex asked cautiously as he stroked her blonde hair.

"I set my phone to airplane mode and threw it... it's the worst transformer ever!" She continued to sob.

Alex sighed in utter disbelief. "Susan?"

"Yes?"

"Never mind," he said, not bothering to comment on her stupidity.

I started to giggle. "I bet if you tapped on her head it'd echo because she has no brain."

Alex gave me a flat look and I returned it with a grin.

"Hey Anna?" Dylan asked me as we sat in his room that afternoon.

"Hay is what horses eat," I replied.

He rolled his eyes. "I have a question."

"Does this question involve me getting up?"

"No."

"Then ask away."

"How can a person who seems so happy commit suicide?" he asked.

I bit my lip. "Haven't you heard the song Collide?"

"What do you mean?"

"His lyrics. 'Even the best fall down sometime.'" I looked out the window. "Not all of us are happy forever. Even the people with the biggest smile on their face are dying to scream. There can be so much pain in someone's heart and you never know it."

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"What for?"

"For asking... I shouldn't have brought it up."

I gave him a small smile. "Don't worry about it. Never be afraid to ask something because you might regret not doing so later. And you don't want to ever have any regrets."

He nodded. "You're right."

"Well I'm off to annoy Alex again," I told him.

Dylan nodded.

"If you ever want to understand how I felt... listen to Everybody Hurts and Remember When by Avril Lavigne."

Dylan smiled. "I shall make sure to do so."

"What shit music are you listening to?" Alex asked as he walked into Dylan's room. I followed right behind Alex and held a finger to my lips telling Dylan to shush. The longer Alex didn't know if anyone else could see me, the better.

"Avril Lavigne," Dylan told Alex.

"Why are you listening to her shit?"

"Because... I'm confused as to why Anna committed suicide. I don't know how she felt, so I asked her friends today about it and they said to listen to these songs and it should explain it."

"What do you care about Anna?"

"Believe it or not, she noticed me when no one else would. Not even my own family cares enough to so much as smile at me. She never called me an emo kid like everyone else does."

"Why do you think they call you emo kid?"

"Because people like you treated me like shit long enough for me to get into depression."