[11] Watching You

Chapter Eleven

            A year had passed since I had left Dylan.  Not a day passed when I didn’t think of him.  I travelled around the world, going to the places I always wanted to.  Yet for some reason, it just didn’t feel right.  What’s the point of seeing things if you don’t have anyone to share it with?

            As I walked back into my old street, I entered my old home to check up on my family.  Mum had finally changed the decoration, I thought to myself.  As my eyes began to look around the room I started to notice everything had change. 

            I walked into my mum and dad’s bedroom to find even that had been changed.  Their old wooden bed replaced for a modern metal one. 

            “This is so not like my parents,” I whispered as I turned to leave the room.

            I was about to walk through the door when a photo frame on the bedside table caught my eye.  Walking back over to it, I bent down and studied it. 

            “This is not my parents,” I stated.

            In the distance I heard the door open so I ran to check who had come home to find some strange man I had never seen before.

            “They moved,” I whispered.

            “Who’s there?” he called out.

            “Shit!  He heard me!” So I ran out of the house and onto the street again to come face to face with Alex and Macy.  MACY!  I looked down to see them holding hands.  My best friend and my ex!  This was getting worse.

            “Hello Anna,” Alex greeted.

            “Anna?” Macy asked.

            “Yeah, remember how I told you about her and what she did a year ago?”

            I watched Macy’s face overwhelm with surprise.  “Oh my god!  Is she here?”

            “Yes, she is.  She is standing right in front of us.”

            “Hey Anna!” Macy enthused.

            I looked down at her hand still in Alex’s.

            “Did she say anthing?” Macy asked Alex eagerly.

            I looked Alex in the eye with a look crossed between hurt and disapproving.  “My best friend, really?  How low can you get?” I whispered.

            Alex didn’t reply to Macy but continued to look me in the eye.  “We’ve been dating since you left, Anna.  I dumped Susan after you opened my eyes to her.  I love her.”

            “Then you’re just going to screw her over like you did with me.”

            “I messed up with you, Anna.  And I’m really sorry.  I’m not going to do that to Macy.”  At that moment Alex put his arm around Macy.  “She’s my life now.  We’re moving when she finishes school.”