7

(Sam's POV)

I was back from break and Luke decided it was time to take me on the date I agreed to. We were at a nice restaurant, waiting on our food. We hadn't stopped talking since he picked me up.

"So, how was your Christmas?" I asked.

"It was good," He answered, "Filled with family. You know, loud."

"Yeah... So you haven't mentioned my book." I changed the subject.

"Mm. Yeah, um..." He trailed off.

"What? You didn't like it?"

"No, no, that's not it." He shook his head. "I liked it a lot. It's incredibly well written. The characters are vibrant and alive..."

"But?"

"I mean, I knew you were cynical, but is that really how you feel about love and marriage?" He asked hesitantly.

"I don't know... Sometimes." I shrugged.

Our waitress walked up to our table, placing our plates down in front of us.

"Oh, thank you." I said. She smiled, the walked off.

"How much of that really happened?" Luke asked curiously.

"I made most of it up." I told him. "I didn't draw that much from my parents' divorce, other than the little girl seeing her mother having sex with another man on the beach."

"Holy shit, that really happened?" His eyes got wide.

"Yeah. I mean, I wasn't a little girl, I was in high school. My parents were having a party, and I was up on the roof. It was late, and my mom came staggering out of the back of the house with Martin. And she was all over him. And I remember Martin saying, 'What about Bill? What if Bill sees?' And my mom replying... 'I don't care... I don't care.'"

It was quiet for a while as Luke allowed me to collect my thoughts.

"Hey, Luke?" I spoke up.

"Mhm." He hummed, a mouth full of food.

"You make me feel less cynical." I admitted, causing him to smile.

..

We finished our meals, argued over who was paying, then settled on Luke paying because he wouldn't take no for an answer. And because he sat the money down and pulled me out of the restaurant before I could do anything about it.

We were sat in his car, playing 21 questions, feeling lucky that we missed the rain by a single second. It was now falling down all around us.

"My turn?" I asked. Luke nodded. "My turn. Um... Favorite TV show."

"The Wonder Years." Luke smiled.

"Oh, alright." I nodded. "That's nice."

"I'm still in love with Winnie Cooper." He admitted. "Okay, uh, favorite song."

"Beatles." I said. "Polythene Pam."

"Great choice." He nodded, impressed.

"Thank you. Yours?"

"Between the Bars by Elliot Smith." He mused.

"Play it for me." I said.

"I actually do have it here." He said, unlocking his phone and pulling up his music. "You're in luck."

I noticed his lock screen was a picture of him and a really cute dog, and his home screen was some professional picture of penguins. He really was too cute.