Theres no time

I was done school and i was on my way to pick up john and fern, when the fire siren went of and the firetrucks,police cars, and ambulances were driving so fast that all i saw was a blue and red blur. I didn't think of it as much. When  I got to the elementary school I found john and fern waiting for me in the office, I tried to take them home but the girl in the office got off the phone and said we cant leave and we have to wait for our parents to pick us up. I was confused because I usually just walk them home. Fern looked at me and asked "Why cant we go home Ember". I said to her " I have no clue fern". When my parents arrived they told that we were going to stay with grandma for a while the whole family is going to live with grandma i was so confused. I was going to ask why but then thought ill just ask them later when we aren't in front of fern and john. When we were on our to grandmas the children fell asleep, so I saw it as my perfect time to ask. "Why are we going to grandmas mom". She answered me with" Its always good to visit your grandmother". I new she was lying because her and grandma never really talk, unless its around the holidays. "Mom I know you are lying so please just tell me the truth". My mom looked worried but replyed. " The truth is that after school today our house caught fire but it wasn't an accident, so until we are safe we are going to witness protection. Your grandmother is coming with us". I was dumb founded at the fact that it wasn't an accident and all of our valuables and pictures were in that house. So i replied with "ok umm well I guess its better that we are safe ".