Chapter 6: The Bare Necessities, Part 2

It feels good to be dancing. Mark is actually very good. I mean, he's not Tom 'Snake Hipping' Hiddleston, but who is?

We dance to both fast and slow songs. On the ballads, Mark is the perfect gentleman, taking my hand in his and holding me close, but not too close. It's during one of these dances that I look over his shoulder and see Tom staring at us. Again.

Tom has danced several times tonight. Mostly with Maddi, and once with both Maddi and Elsa. By the look that Maddi gave Elsa, I doubt they'll be dancing as a group again.

I've also noticed that Tom has had several drinks. That's not like him - he usually drinks in moderation. But, he seems to be having fun. In fact, he's now laughing hysterically at something Chris said, though he's barely taken his eyes from me. I shrug internally - it's not like I'm Tom's mom or anything.

"Penny for your thoughts, Lass?" Mark asks.

"Nothing really. Just enjoying dancing," I say, smiling up at him. He smiles back, then leans down and places a soft kiss on my lips. He leans back to gauge my response, and I place my hand on his chest. Whether I'm trying to push him away or encourage him, I can't tell. I don't have time to ponder this as a hand is placed on his shoulder.

"Excuse me. May I cut in?" Tom asks.

A hint of frustration passes across Mark's face and disappears just as quickly. "Of course, Mate," Mark replies, taking my hand and offering it to Tom. Tom smiles at Mark but it's his smile that doesn't quite make it to his eyes. I smile from Mark to Tom, feeling like I might hear a song from West Side Story start playing at any moment. You know, the one where they're dancing and flicking switchblades at the same time.

Mark walks to the edge of the dance floor but his eyes never leave Tom and me. Tom looks at him but quickly loses interest when he smiles at me and takes me in his arms.

It's another ballad, and Tom holds me close. As we make our way around the dance floor, Tom takes my hands and places them around his neck, then he starts rubbing his hands up and down my back.

"Easy there. No need to be so frisky," I say, laughing while putting a bit of space between Tom and me. It does no good as he closes the space again, and I look over to see Mark leaning casually against the bar. He may look relaxed, but I can read Mark's coiled muscles a mile away.

"Tom. You're acting strange," I say, putting some space between us again. Tom stops dancing and looks at me. "If I'm acting strange, it's only because of that dress," he says a bit...well, a bit drunkily. Yes, I know it's not a word, but it describes Tom's demeanor perfectly.

"What wrong with my dress?"

"Nothing. It just doesn't belong on you. No sir, it doesn't...it doesn't belong on you at all."

I huff at Tom's words. How dare he say that something I've designed...for myself...doesn't belong on me.

"I think this dance is over, Tom," I say as I start to break his hold. He grabs me a bit tighter, and I try to hold my temper. After all, I don't want to make a scene. There are enough people around who know who Tom Hiddleston is.

"Don't go, Sarah. Not with...that wanker," he says, pulling me in for a fierce hug. Mark stands straight and starts to walk toward us. I shake my head slightly, and he stops his approach though he's standing very close to the edge of the dance floor.