Prologue

Three Years Ago

"Shane, come back right now! You're going too far!" April hollered to her brother Shane, as he walked farther and farther into the ocean, mocking his sister's commands.
"You aren't my mother!" Shane hollered back.
"You're gonna drown! Get back here! NOW!" April said as a huge wave pulled Shane into the water. April didn't know what to do! She tried going in after Shane, but the water was too deep.
"Dad! Shane's gonna drown! Hurry!" April yelled as she ran back to shore. Her dad came running down to the water, jumping in to rescue Shane, who could drown if he didn't get to shore soon. April watched, with a look of fear on her face. April ran to the beach chairs, grabbing two towels. One for Shane, one for her father. As April ran back towards the water, she saw Shane swimming back to shore.
"Shane, are you okay? Where's dad?" April questioned as she wrapped a towel around her brother.
"He told me to swim back to shore," Shane wiped his face with his towel, "he- he drowned." Shane burst out in tears. April was too shocked to cry, too hurt to move.
"Go get mom, tell her everything." April said to Shane, who stood there, looking up at his sister, who seemed to be taking this better than he was.
"Go!" April scolded her brother. Shane ran to the beach chairs where his mother was. April watched him run to their mother, who came down to the ocean to comfort her child, who fell on her knees and bawled.
"April," Shane tried to comfort his sister.
"Don't, Shane! This is all your fault!" April pushed her mother away and ran to the beach house. After that, Shane and April argued every day about their father's death. Eventually, Shane had to move in with their grandparents, and they never spoke again, until three years later.