Chapter Fifteen - I'm Sorry

Katniss POV

"Welcome home, baby" Peeta whispers.

Woah, home? New York? I've always wanted to come here but I'm not sure I want to live here. I mean what about Prim? And our friends? What about jobs? Money? Speaking of money how on earth did Peeta afford this? I don't think I want to live here. I want to live with him, just at hometown, our real home, not here, not New York.

How do I tell him? I look in his bright blue eyes and I've seen that look before. It's the same look he had when he told me he loved me and was waiting for me to answer. The look of hope and I'm about to break it. I smile weakly at him.

"Peeta" I say to him. He nods and i continue, "Peeta, I'm sorry, I just um, I just don't want to live here" I mumble the last part but he heard and just like that his face falls.

"What do you mean? I thought you would love to live here, I've had this planned since before all the drama with our families went down and was going to sell it but then it was all lies, I thought you wanted this" Peeta then looks down and whispers, "I thought you wanted me"

"Of course I want you! I want to move in with you, just not here, I love you, Peeta"

Usually he returns that sentiment straight away but instead he looks at me with hurt and angry eyes, "I tried to make this all perfect! I planned this out perfectly. Ever since Finnick told us about the road trip. I got the keys cut, I made sure all the people were moved out, I made the time for us to come here, I tried so hard to keep it a secret because I didn't want the surprise to be ruined and you tell me you don't want this"

Peeta's never talked to me like this, with anger. Usually he's so caring and understanding with things.

"Peeta, I'm so sorry, I just can't leave Prim and-" I start but I'm cut off by him.

"Let me guess. You can't leave Prim or our friends. Your worrying about jobs and money, well you tell yourself that. There all just excuses, Katniss and honestly I'm tired of your excuses." And with that he walks out of the apartment, slamming the door shut behind him.

Later that night
Katniss POV

I've not spoken to Peeta since he walked out on me. He grabbed a cab before I could stop him and when I finally caught a cab and got back here, I found a note from Finnick saying Peeta came back upset and they all went out for drinks. Great. Even the girls went out for drinks so I'm stuck in this hotel by myself.

It's at 12am I get a call from Peeta and I immediately answer.

"Hello?" I ask him with worry.

"Hello, Katniss" he says back, oh wow he's drunk and he never gets drunk, that's usually me.

"Where are you?" I ask.

"I don't know" Peeta laughs back, "I lost the others but don't worry I'm fine, if you even care"

This alarms me, of course I care! Why wouldn't I. I love Peeta with all my heart. I'm about to reply when I hear a girl through the phone, "Come on baby, come to the back room"

I start overthinking everything but then I realise she might be talking to someone else or even if she is talking to Peeta, he'll turn her down. Yes. That's what's happening.

"I'm coming, hold on" I hear Peeta say. And that's when my heart breaks in two. Harder than when my mum told me we were siblings because that wasn't Peeta's doing. This is.

"Peeta?" I say weakly, on the verge of tears.

"Shit" I hear him mumble on the other side of the phone, he must've thought he had hung up, "Katniss look,"

"No Peeta! Don't fucking bother! You go fuck someone else but don't bother crawling back to me! I'll never forgive you for this" I shout down the phone, the tears streaming down my face. "I hate you" I whisper through the phone, then I hang up.

I start screaming and crying harder now, "I HATE YOU" I find the keys for 'our apartment' on the bed and throw them against the wall, "I FUCKING HATE YOU" I shout.

Then I fall to the floor and curdle myself into a ball, crying my heart out, until I fall into a nightmare filled sleep with only one thought, "I've lost him"