Chapter 7: Zaya

I arrived at the diner a few minutes after five. Christina was already there, working at the bar. I said hi to her, as I passed to go to the employee locker room. I locked up my stuff, and grabbed my apron. My phone rung right before I closed the door to my locker, and I answered it. "Hello?"

"Hey Zaya," My best friend, Natalie said.

"Hey Nat, what's up?"

"Nothing much. I miss you a lot, and your sarcastic comments."

"Same," I started putting away my belongings. "How's Andre doing?"

"Fine. Just a little too annoying for my taste. I'm going to have dump him soon."

I laughed. "Sure you would."

"Shut up. It's not my fault I love him. And don't tell me it kinda is, cuz I know that. How's the golden state?"

"It's alright," I sat down on one of the benches. "I already have to go on a date with a stupid jerk here."

"How did you get yourself into a fix like that, Z?"

"He took my clothes for work. I really didn't have a choice, did I?"

"Not really, but usually you put up a good fight."

"Nat, I was literally standing in a towel and my shoes in the parking lot of my dance studio."

"That sucks," She sighed. "I gotta go, but call me tonight, 'kay?"

"Okay. Love you bestie."

"Same, deuces."

With that, I hung up. I put my phone on vibrate, and put in the pocket of my apron. The diner wasn't terribly crowded tonight, like it was yesterday. I enjoyed my job here so far. The people were nice enough.

I took my post at the bar, and asked one of the customer's orders. "Hey, what could I get for you?"

"You, me, Saturday night." The guy smirked.

I raised my eyebrows. "How old are you?"

"Eighteen, how 'bout you?"

"None of your business. Now, what can I get you that is not a date?"

"Cheeseburger and fries. And an orange soda, if you don't mind."

I wrote his order down, and smiled at him. "I'll put that right in for you. I'll get back to you on that date, though."

He smirked again as I turned toward the kitchen window. "Can I get a cheeseburger and fries, please?"

"Comin' up!" The chef yelled from his station in the kitchen.

I turned back to the guy at the counter. "What's your name?"

"Jordan. How about you?"

"Zaya, and I'm seventeen just so you know."

"Do you go the high school?"

Before I could answer, Christina pulls me away, and scowls at me. "Why are you talkin' the school's biggest player?"

"I didn't know that. I was just talking to him."

"More like flirtin'," She laughed without humor. "One thing to know. Never go out with a random guy. A lot are known for taking advantage of us girls. We gotta stay together."

"Says the girl who gave her V-Card to Antoine."

"Are you still on that? I told you it was practically rape."

"I highly doubt that, especially since you said the whole ordeal was amazing."

"Shut up," She laughed.

I shrugged my shoulders and went to take another person's order.

As the minutes ticked away, more customers came in to eat. I was pretty busy when I saw something disturbing in my peripheral vision. Walter King was sitting at the counter staring at me.

I slammed the register drawer shut, and quickly flipped him off. He acted hurt, but I didn't give a crap. I continued my work, as Walter kept looking at me. As I was ringing up one of my customer's orders, Walter finally said something. "I was thinking we could see a movie on Friday. Maybe a love story, I know you'll love that."

"In your dreams, pretty boy."

"Okay. Maybe an action movie. You like The Hunger Games?"

"Love it, actually. But I've already seen the fourth one twice, so not seeing it again."

"Okay, well maybe we can go to the RHPS thing at the theater."

"I love that!" I smiled. "They still do that?"

"Every Friday, I think. You would be surprised on how many people like it."

"It's a classic," I was surprised that Walter liked Rocky Horror Picture Show. It was actually one of the first movies I saw ever. My mom was highly obsessed with it. She actually played Janet in the play once.

"I guess we'll do that, then," Walter said after a few moments of silence.

"Yep. Now, you can leave." I said, closing the register draw shut, and grabbing a receipt.

He looked shocked. "Wait! I thought we were on a good page."

"Wrong, dude. We were deciding on a place to go for a mandatory date that I have to go on. Get your facts straight."

He grinned. "You're funny."

"You think that, alright!" I shouted to him, as I went into the kitchen.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N

Heyo!!!! In words of Bianca Piper. This concludes chapter 7 of Different. I hoped you guys liked it. I'll try to get you another chapter in by the end of this week. Comment, vote, and share!!!!✌️