Chapter Three

Evie

Confusion was written all over my face. Did Lacey like me, or did she detest me? It seemed as if she hated me and then she loved me, I couldn’t understand any of this. However, I knew one thing for sure. I was going to do whatever it took to hang out with her.

  And when I saw the opportunity, I leapt for it.

  “I’m going to the mall with Cora!” Lacey announced to Mom and Dad.

  My blue eyes grew wide. “Can I come?” I wondered as she made her way out of the kitchen, which the whole family was sitting in.

  “What?” She wondered, her face flushing.

  “Can I come?” I repeated, not sounding so eager this time. “Please!” I added.

  She looked at our parents, who were cleaning up the table, with a hopeful look and a pouted bottom lip. However, they gave her a serious look and then our mother looked at me. “Go ahead, you two should bond more.”

  I smiled, while she groaned. “Come on,” She grumbled as she grabbed her coat.

  I noticed I didn’t have a coat, so I decided to just be cold. We made our way outside, getting hit by the fall air. Goosebumps appeared on my skin from the sudden coldness, I shivered a  little bit.

  “Do you have any clothes for the first day of school?” Lacey wondered, pulling her red hair into a ponytail.

  I looked down at my shoes, which were black flats that were starting to get worn out. “Honestly, not a lot.”

  She pulled out a wad of cash from her purse, which was slung over her shoulder. “I guess this means we have to split it.”

  We were soon at a bus stop and a large city bus was rolling in front of us. We hopped on and Lacey was practically attacked by a short girl with light brown hair.

  Lacey hugged the girl and the light brown haired girl hugged her back. “Hey Cora!” Lacey greeted.

  “Hi Lace!” This girl, who seemed to be the famous Cora, replied. Once they ended the hug, Cora looked at me with a raised eyebrow. Her brown eyes with small hints of hazel studied me. “Ah, so you must be the twin. Evie right?”

 I nodded my head and then I forced a smile, not exactly what her tone of voice meant. “And you must be the best friend!” Lacey told me about Cora, how they had been best friends forever.

  She smiled too, revealing completely straight and white teeth. “You know it!” Her eyes met Lacey’s once more. “So I’m guessing she’ll be joining us on our little adventure to the mall, with, you know?”

  “Who’s ‘you know’?” I wondered, my curious side taking over.

  Lacey sighed and paid the driver as we all made our way to a seat in the bus. “No one,” She told me. She then turned back towards her best friend, making her red haired ponytail hit me in the face as she whipped her head around. “But yeah, she’s coming.”

  We sat down in one of the green/blue chairs of the bus, they were full of holes and graffiti. Lacey was sitting by the window, her head pressed up against the glass, Cora was in the middle of us and I sat sitting on the edge of the seat, almost falling off.

  After a moment of silence, I spoke up. “So, who else is coming?”

  “A few friends,” My twin responded.

  Silence took over once again, a very uncomfortable silence. I kept looking at Cora and Lacey, hoping one of them would say something. But their mouths stayed shut and so did mine.

  I tapped my foot on the steel ground of the bus. I then craned my neck to look outside the window. Sunny, yet chilly at this time of year, North Carolina was what I saw. Shopping malls passed by as we drove, families on the sidewalk, trees of course and we got some glimpses of the ocean. And then the new sight was a bus stop.

  Cora, Lacey and I all got up and made our way out the door of the bus.

  “We’ll walk the rest of the way to the mall,” Lacey planned.

  Cora and I nodded our heads. I shoved my hands in my pockets as we walked straight to our destination.

  “So Evie,” Cora said, getting my attention. “Where are you from?”

  I shrugged my shoulders. “Everywhere.” My blue eyes caught hers. “I’ve never really stuck in one spot. So I’m pretty excited to actually have a family now!”

  Lacey rolled her eyes. “Look, we’re here!” She forced herself to sound chirpy as we arrived in front of a grey stone mall with glass doors for the entrance. It was very large, probably a good three to four stories high.

  “Wow, this place looks awesome!” I exclaimed.

  “It is awesome!”Her best friend corrected, shooting me another friendly smile.

  We walked in and I my eyes grew wide when I saw all the different stores, mannequins and especially people! People by themselves or large crowds were everywhere, shopping bags slung over their shoulders.

  “So, shall we hit the regular?” Lacey asked Cora, a smile on her face.

  “Yes please!” Cora replied with a huge smile on her face too as she grabbed her best friends hand and practically ran down the mall.

  I struggled to keep up with them. I had never been the most athletic person in the world. “What’s the regular?!” I called out to them.

  The two girls looked at each other and grinned mischievously. Cora’s eyes then met mine as she took a deep breath. “Well first we hit the candy shop to get psyched for our little trip here at the mall, then we go to Forever 21, then the Converse store, after that we go to look at shoes, then we go to the Apple store, then we get some lattes, then we head off to Abercrombie and Fitch then American Eagle right next door is American Apparel. After that, we just do total improve and look at random stores,” She explained very quickly.

  I nodded my head, sure that I didn’t catch everything. I just followed Lacey and Cora as they made their way around the mall. However, right as we were about to enter the candy store, we were interrupted.

  “Lacey! Cora!” A guy’s voice called out.

  The two girls whipped around and grinned, I turned around too and my eyes grew wide. Probably the most gorgeous boy in the whole world was standing in front of me. He looked like he just came out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog with his body structure, tall, muscular with big broad shoulders. His dark brown hair was almost covering his eyes, but when he flicked it out of his face he revealed his gorgeous bright blue metallic blue eyes.

  He stopped when he reached the two girls. I had to look up to see his spectacular face. He looked down at me and grinned, which practically made me melt. His grin was so cute! It made one dimple on his left cheek appear. “Who’s this?”

  Lacey stopped gawking at him and groaned. “Joe, meet my twin sister Evie.”

  She looked less than happy, she dug her nails into her hands and grumbled, “Evie, this is Joe Mitchel.”

**********************************************************************************************************

Cheyenne here!

Can ya sense the tension between Evie and Lacey?! I sure can!

Sorry that it took so long to post this chapter! At least I made up for it by introducing two new characters! Meet Joe Mitchel and Cora Davis!

Please comment, vote and fan!