"Lucky Venus"

This poem was inspired when my boyfriend in 2009 said the the rendition of Venus in Botticelli's famous Renaissance piece, The Birth of Venus looked like me! There are various incarnations of Venus and one is called Venus Felix, or Lucky Venus, and this poem quickly ensued! I'm adding a picture of the painting so you can see it. By the way, that boyfriend is now my husband!

Venus Felix: ("Lucky Venus")

I stand before you, the waves crashing at my feet.

I look upon your face, and I see the dawn.

I see the light of day coming back into my life.

I don't know why or how, but I know it happened.

Your eyes are the color of a deep, deep amber sunrise in late Fall.

You are the Spring to my heart.

Carefully, I reach out and take your hand.

Slowly, I lean in, and kiss you very softly.

I have flowers and shells in my hair and on my skin, decorating my bare, brilliant figure.

I know that standing on the sand, where it lies between the tide and the rest of the world, that is where we belong, together.

There is no other Adonis for me, my sweet sweet love.

I slept not a wink this night, only longed for you again.

I swear I'd wait forever if I had to; even to see you for one more second before the end of the entire universe, I would be eternally grateful.

The cosmos could be crashing down around us, but so long as I'm in your arms, I'm safe and happy.

Love is akin to energy: it cannot be created or destroyed, simply change direction and intensity.

All my love is redirected to you. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have stars in my eyes, and I know that the stars want us together for as long as we exist.

I couldn't have found a better Adonis if I'd picked him out myself--and our ending will be what theirs never was.