Chapter One: The Game

An overwhelming roar of noise filled my ears as I was suddenly awoken. The lunchroom was filled with undying conversation and the smell of the school lunches, like usual. I blinked away the blurriness in my eyes as I sat up and stretched out my back. After rubbing away the rest of the blur from my eyes, I looked across from me to see Oliver glaring directly at me.

"Gilen, how late did you stay up last night?" He asked before taking a bite of his sandwich. I shrugged, earning a disappointed sigh from him as I laid my head back in my arms.

Ever since I found this one online game, I've been playing it like it was my job. I've met a few people while playing it, some of them in different time zones than myself, so I'd stay up late so I could talk to them at a more convenient time (for them). Time always escaped me while I'm online, and the next thing I know, it's three in the morning with school starting in a few hours. I know it isn't healthy, but I just can't help myself.

"You need to get off of that death machine," Oliver said, snapping him out of his thoughts. "You're going to die of sleep deprivation before the month is up."

"I'm not going to die of lack of sleep," I retorted quietly. Oliver paused for a moment.

"You need to get out of the house," he declared.

"No thank you, I'm perfectly comfortable in my abode of isolation," I mumbled from the fabric of my sleeves.

"It's not good for you Gilen! You're not going to be able to do anything with your life if you don't live your life. You need to go out and socialize, be a productive member of society."

"Oliver, calm down. I'll socialize when I get to college. Besides, I have you don't I?"

"Look," Oliver said sternly. He leaned in a bit closer to Gilen before speaking. "There's a basketball game tonight, and Flavio can't go because he has other plans. Why don't you come with me instead?"

"But I don't like sports. And I didn't think you did either."

"I don't..." Oliver said quietly. He looked down at the table and fidgeted in his seat. A small smile crept up on his lips. "...but I like people who play sports~" he said softly, giggling under his breath. I knew immediately what he meant. He only talked about him a lot.

"So that's why you want to go."

Oliver nodded, blushing. There was a silence between us for a bit as Oliver drifted into his own fantasized thoughts. I stared at him, in my own thought.

I wonder what it's like...being so head over heels for someone...does it actually feel like your falling when your falling in love?

"Hey losers," Flavio said as he sat down, eyes locked on his phone. "What's up?"

Oliver snapped out of his dreamland as he turned to face Flavio. "Oh! Haha~ I didn't see you walk over!" He said rather loudly, trying to laugh of his embarrassment. "I was just trying to convince Gilly to go to the game with me, hehe~"

"Ooo~ Spyin' on your boyfriend I'm guessing~?" Flavio winked at him. "Just make sure if ya get laid I'm the first to know, kay sweet cheeks~?"

Flavio laughed as the color drained from Oliver's face. Oliver stood up quickly, grabbing his tray, trying to run off as quick as possible. But when he turned to leave, his foot caught the attached bench of the table, sending him face to the floor. The lunchroom immediately erupted into laughter, with no intentions to help the poor boy up off of the floor.

"Are you okay?" I asked, standing up to help Oliver back on his feet.

"I should be fine," Oliver said, patting the dirt off of his clothes. "Nothing really hurt but my pride," he smiled. He bent down to pick up the scattered contents of his tray before walking away, head held high.