2 || Match-O-Matics

"Why am I doing this again? It's stupid El." I rolled my eyes as we stood in a huge line surrounded by a mix of people.

"To- to- I don't have the best reason, but hell it'll be fun at least." I shook my head.

"I'm not sure if I like your definition of fun." The line moved ahead and we were standing in front of the Student Body President.

"Lunch or just the sheet?" I looked at Ellie.

"Two for lunch please," She responds politely, and hands him two fives.

"Next!" He yells and we're herded forward to the concession stand, where I'm handed a plate with pizza and a cookie.

"Juniors over here!" Council members were sorting through sheets frantically as more and more students came up to them.

"Charlotte McDouggal," I tell the girl who had called me over. She hands me a sheet and smiles, then moves on to Ellie.

I ignore the paper in my hand for the moment and push my way back through the crowd towards the band room at the other end of the school. I hear Ellie calling behind me, but I push on, determined to get out of the crowd.

"I swear Lots, you drive me crazy. Who'd ya get?" She asks as she tears the paper out of my hand.

"I'd tell you if I'd had the time to look" I sigh exasperatedly. "How bad is it?" I say as I sit back down on the floor with my stuff.

Ellie furrowed her brow, then held a finger up and left the room.

"Well that's just great." I roll my eyes and pick up a slice of pizza. The cheese is greasy and looks like it's going to slide off the dough.

"Quality pizza as always." I hear Ellie come back into the room and look up, her ever fashionable boyfriend in tow behind her.

"I got matched with him?" I question, Ellie takes a moment then bursts out laughing.

"Ew, Charlotte no, we're matched together, obviously. But Riley knows your number one." Ellie wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"You stay here for like five more minutes, we've got this." Riley said, a smile on his face. Its cliché but the pretty girl and the quarterback? They're the perfect couple.

"Alright, alright," I replied and they were off again. I was still sitting on the conductor's platform, just a few inches off the ground, with my pizza next to me.

I ungracefully maneuvered the cheap pizza to my mouth, getting tomato sauce on my already stained shirt in the process, causing my to roll my eyes in exasperation. Luck was never really on my side.

"Got it! I have his sheet Lots!" Ellie nearly screamed as she barged back into the band room no less than five minutes later. How she had passed the line was beyond me. "Lucky he didn't get his, that would've been awkward, but knowing him he wouldn't, he's not the type of g-"

"Who isn't the type of guy Ellie?" I say exasperatedly, not looking at her, my gaze still focused on the bright red stain on my tee-shirt

"You'll see, I think you know him." She winked at me as I turned toward her.

"Can I politely decline now, or do I have to wait until later?" Ellie shook her head in disdain as Riley and a boy walked into the room. a mop of brown hair, deep brown eyes and tan skin. He had a red flannel on and skinny jeans, that's all I saw.

"Uh, hello? I'm Collin Mark, I assume you're Charlotte McDouggal?" He looked at me. I was suddenly aware of my tongue and spent a moment trying to get refocus myself before responding, leaving the room in an awkward silence.