Part 4

Mom and Layla have a silent ride back home and they go to bed without saying a word. Three weeks later Layla and her Mom are sitting at the dinner table eating breakfast when the mom gets a call

Mom: Hello? Oh hi sorry. Okay we will be there soon. Okay thanks again bye-bye Mom hangs up the phone and turns to talk to Layla.

Mom: We are needed at the hospital, so let's go.

Layla: Okay

In the car the radio is off, and it is silent.

Layla: Do you think everything is okay?

Mom: We won't know till we get there. But I believe that everything is fine.

They spend the rest of the car ride in complete silence.

When they are on their way to Stephanie's room, they bump into Dr. Simpson who stops them and brings them into a room.

Dr. Simpson: She has just finished half the rounds of her chemotherapy. She is progressing, but she needs the other half. So what are we going to do?

Layla: We are going to use my college money, and she is going to get the rest of her chemo. (Turns to her mom) That's what we're doing, so please don't argue.

Mom: Okay, well let's go back home and on the way we will stop at the bank and transfer the money over to my account.

Layla: Mom, I'm going to send Yale an e-mail telling them why I may no longer attend their school.

Mom: Okay sweetie. I hate that you are doing this, but I am so proud of you.