Part 1

Layla and her mother are driving from their house to the hospital. The radio isn't on, and a deep suffocating silence fills the car.

Layla: I can't believe this is our life right now. It feels like all we ever do is drive back and forth to the hospital. Did Dr. Simpson give you any idea how much longer Stephanie has to be in for?

Mom: I know it's a lot to go through, but Leukemia is serious business. We need to give it our best shot, and our best shot means strong treatments that she can't get if she's at home.

Layla: But what if the treatment takes longer than expected. I'm going off to college in seven weeks. If she's not home by then, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Mom: Don't try to fix something that's not broken yet. We haven't even spoken to Dr. Simpson. Let's find out more before we start creating new problems for ourselves. We've had more than enough of those this summer already.

At the hospital in Stephanie's room

Mom: (To Dr. Simpson) How is she doing Dr.? Any news or updates?

Dr. Simpson: Ok, well let's step into the family room down the hall and discuss what's going on with Stephanie.

Mom: Ok, Layla are you coming with?

Layla: Yes, Mom I'll meet you there. I'm going to stay here and talk to Stephanie for a minute.

Dr. Simpson: (To Layla) Ok that's fine, but don't be too long she needs to get her rest.

Walks out of the room with Mrs. Ramirez right behind him

Layla: (Walks up to Stephanie's bed and holds her hand) Hey Steph, everything is going to be fine. We are doing the best we can to get you out of here. It shouldn't be much longer. But all you have to worry about is staying strong and fighting this. Also remember that we love you.

Stephanie: What if things get worse? You're supposed to be leaving for school soon? Mom will need help at home. She's working full time and spending so much time here that there's hardly time for her to take care of the house.

Layla: Steph, don't worry about adult problems. All you need to worry about are your problems. Now why don't you get some rest, and I'll see you later okay?

Stephanie: Okay, love you.

Layla: (Lets go of her hand and kisses her on the forehead before shutting the door quietly.) I love you too

Layla finds the room her mom and Dr. Simpson are in. Her mom is crying. She finds a box of tissues and hands it to her mom.

Layla: Mom? Dr. Simpson? What did I miss?

Dr. Simpson: Well Layla why don't you take a seat? Gestures to a chair (Layla sits down). Well, I was explaining to your mom that the Leukemia is getting worse, and the chemo has stopped working

Layla: Why? What's going wrong?

Dr. Simpson: We're not quite sure but this isn't the first case of this. There is a new kind of chemotherapy that has a 90% survival rate when used to treat your sister's particular form of cancer..

Layla: That's great, but what's the problem?

Dr. Simpson: It costs a lot more money than the treatment Stephanie is on now and insurance won't cover it.

Mom: (To Layla) Layla, money has been tight around here because I... um... lost my job.