Chapter Six

"Sometimes even the girl who is always there for everyone else needs someone to be there for her."

Namya's POV:

It was almost eight p.m. and shockingly the streets of a city that never sleeps were empty. There were hardly any people around. I wanted to catch a cab home but no luck. So I had no other option but to walk. The empty streets made it easier for me to walk faster. Then time always flies by when you're meeting up with your best friends. After hearing my problem they were so keen on helping me out that they decided to skip college. I texted Samar that I wouldn't be coming today and he was a bit angry as I didn't tell him before. He already had reached college. I told him I'd talk to him once I'm home. Shit! I didn't text him. He must be so mad. What will I say to him?

While I was lost in the train of thoughts I heard some noise I looked back and saw a shadow hide. Somehow I knew what was happening. I was being followed. Followed by my stalker. I closed my eyes and walked as fast as I could. The footsteps sound grew closer and closer and closer. I didn't dare to look behind. Before I knew.. I hit someone and fell flat on the ground.

I saw I had dashed into Samar. It was such a relief. I couldn't believe he came to my rescue. He's always there for me. Oh my sweet Samar.

I gave him a hug and quickly thanked him for coming when I realized I had never actually told him about Manav. How did he know? Could it be that...? That thought of it made me shiver. I slowly looked up only to see Samar give him a thumbs up. Suddenly my whole world turned upside down. I tried to run away from him but all in vain. He caught me by my hand and pulled my hand. I stumbled backwards. I saw my stalker approaching near us. Slowly and gradually with a wicked smile. Just as in movies. I stood still know any attempt made by me was going to be of no use. I tried to connect the dots. How could Samar know Manav? Why would he ever give my number to someone without even asking me? How could he do all this? What am I supposed to do now? How is this going to end? Why is this street empty? Even if it’s planned meticulously how did they manage to clear the roads? I was really scared of what was going to happen next. I had a really bad feeling about it.

Manav was now standing next to me with an evil grin on his face.

***

I opened my eyes only to find myself in an unknown place. I think I was near a beach because I could hear the waves of the water. Where was I? I felt my hands tied with a tight rope around a rod and I was seated on the ground. There was nothing within my reach. That evil grin on Manav's face was the last thing I could recall. How did I even get here? What time is it? Mom-Dad! They must be worried as sick! Oh I miss them so much. Where are they? I hope they somehow come to my rescue. I want to go back home. If only I had called dad to pick me up I wouldn't have ended here. I'm so sorry dad. I should have listened to you.

I looked around to have a better view of what was around me. I needed a fool-proof plan to escape and it had to be devised carefully. Suddenly I saw Samar laying there. What was he doing here? Was he sleeping? It didn't feel like he was sleeping. I noticed his breath. I couldn't see him breathing. I was terrified. What was happening around me? Could it really be? No. No. No. No ways! Samar couldn't be...... No! There has to be some other logical explanation. After all there was no blood around. And as far as I remember Manav and him seemed to be on the same team. Even if Samar did that to me it.. His life still matters to me. He is my best friend after all or at least he used to be.. Meanwhile I heard footsteps approaching me. It had to be Manav. I was really pissed. He had to give me answers. Even though I was tied at that moment it didn't seem to bother that much.

The door opened. Manav came in right to where I was tied up.

"Hi deary" he beamed "Nice to finally meet you.”

"What do you want?" I said irritated.

"Oh well. It didn't have to be this way you know" he came closer which automatically fastened my breath ten times more. "It could have been easier."

I gave him a confused look as he continued.

"You could have said yes to meet me and we could have had our perfect first date and then we could have started meeting more frequently only for falling in love with each other slowly and gradually. And maybe ten years in the future we would have been living this two-storied house, near the sea-shore, happily married with two kids and a dog maybe. The place you're sitting could have been our guest room"

"What have you done to Samar?" I asked wanting to hear no more of it. I was just speechless. What is he, a psycho??

He tried to give an evil laugh but failed. He came closer to me and caressed my cheeks.

"Innocent little Namya. You wouldn't want to know that. All you need to know is that his chapter is now over forever. He wouldn't bother us again"

Tears started rolling from my cheeks when the words synchronized in my head.

As he saw me weeping he slapped my face hard. There was this look in his eyes. He had the crazy eyes! I was scared.

"But didn't he help you get me here? How could you do this to him?"

He laughed. "You are so naive baby doll. Don't you know anything about fugitives?"

A freaking fugitive? Okay now I was officially scared. Why did it have to be me? But I needed to calm down now. Suddenly my fear turned into crave for revenge. The only thing on my mind was Revenge. I had to take revenge for everything he has done to me. He killed my best friend! Poor Samar he deserved better than this. He deserved to live! Manav had to die.

***

It was just yesterday that I spent all afternoon with my best friend doing lot of crazy things and now he laid there in front of me. Dead. I couldn't just believe it. I didn't want to believe it. That fact that he isn't here anymore because of me ate me up. I just can't stand to imagine the condition his parents would be in when they find out. Would everyone blame me? Will his parents ever forgive me? But most importantly will I be able to forgive myself? I couldn't help but cry.

"When will you stop crying for the fraud-jerk?" Mavan looked at me amused "he even helped me set up such a wonderful trap for you."

"For God's sake he's dead! Could you at least respect him now?! He's not a fraud. He never was!" I yelled at him

"Woah. Looks like someone forgot her manners. You don't yell at your future husband."

"Oh are you kidding me? I'd rather die with him than live with you for the rest of my life."

My words struck him real bad. I could sense it.

"You and him can never be together! Get that in your head right away!" his anger spoke. "You are mine! just MINE! And I'll kill hundreds of Samars if I have to."

I didn't know if I could take in any more of his madness. I chose to remain silent, hoping to be rescued. Deep down inside I'm sure he knew I meant what I said. That's the reason why his anger triggered. You can't force someone to fall in love with you. Definitely not this way. Why was he doing this? I wish I could do something.