Chapter 1

Did you cry at your high school graduation?

I didn't.

I was glad to get out of this prison of immaturity and gossiping teenagers. Most of the student body spent their time stabbing people in the back and spreading rumors, usually rumors about me and my family.

Were these rumors about me true?

Sure some of them were.  Yes I was Fabia Luciano, the daughter of notorious mob boss Carlo Luciano; but no, I wasn't a part of the mob.  Do you really think my father would let his little girl be a part of organized crime?

Yes my mother was murdered by a car bomb that was meant to kill my dad, and yes he killed every person involved in that plan, but no he didn't kill their entire families and torch their homes.

I suppose I can understand how these rumors get spread, especially when you live where I do, in the windy city of Chicago.  The Mafia has been present in Chicago for a long time, have you ever heard of Al Capone?   He ran this city for a long time and no one will ever be as notorious as him but you don't want to be as exposed as his business was.

My father is an extremely smart man.  Out of the five major mob families in Chicago my father's is the smallest, but he has good connections with all of the other mobs.  He works hard and people respect him for that. Even if his business is illegal and completely underground.

Ours is mostly family run, the people who have been working for him have been employed with him forever.  Including my two older brothers, the oldest one, Enzo is 26.  He's the brawn with his tall height, huge muscles, and curly dark hair. He is frightening to anyone who cross's him which is why he works a lot on the streets with our dealers. My other older brother Marco is 23 and is enrolled in law school, he will probably become the new family lawyer. Marco has a knack for getting himself in trouble and finding a way to then himself out of trouble.  Which is why he will make for a great attorney.  He's more outspoken and a big party boy but he is crazy smart and a good head on his shoulders... most of the time.

So what do I do?  Not much. 

I am the apple of my father's eye.  I look exactly like my mother did, tall, slender, long wavy chocolate brown hair, and big brown eyes; therefore he treats me like a precious piece of china.  A majority of the time he has protection follow me around, they don't go with me everywhere but even when I don't think they are around I suspect they are close behind, constantly keeping an eye on me.

For most teenage girls this would be a major annoyance but I learned to live with it, I needed to make my dad happy so I obeyed him, almost always. I was truly my daddy's little girl.

That's why I'm having the worst week of my life.  I love my dad but he's not the healthiest guy, last night around 9:00pm he had a heart attack.  A bad one and things were not looking good for him.  The doctors try to tell me his heart is no longer strong enough and he wouldn't survive through a surgery.

But I'm 18 I can take the bad news, he's dying.  He won't get better, it's a only a matter of time.  I haven't left his bedside yet but all he does is sleep.

Enzo and Marco are they a lot of the time too but with my dad away from his work they have to make sure everything is running smoothly.

I haven't cried yet.

Nurses and doctors walk though his room every hour, they know who he is but here they try their best to save him because they are afraid of what will happen otherwise.  But I know better, my dad did this to himself with the years of smoking, drinking, and eating lots of juicy hamburgers.

24 hours after my father's heart attack I'm sitting in the hospital room with Enzo, Marco, and my dad's second in command Joey Mamazza, who although wasn't related to any of us we called Uncle Joey.  My dad's big brown eyes slowly open up and he looks directly to me,