Chapter 14

The following week had been a weird one.  Rocco hardly talked to me anymore unless it was to tell me something he wanted for the wedding, which I would in return tell his mother about as if it was my own idea.  I wasn’t sure what was going on with him but he spent his time either in his room or outside by the pool tanning and texting away. 

This was not only awkward for me but for Romeo.  I had discovered that Romeo stayed overnight at the Cappazo’s most nights of the week only going home on his days off.  I had no idea that Romeo slept at the same house as me but it shouldn’t be that much of a surprise because I haven’t even been in every room of the Cappazo’s large mansion.

With Rocco missing in action I had to find other people to hang out with.  Caprice and I went shopping for floral arrangements on Monday but she couldn’t hang out with me as often because she was either working or hanging out with Teddy most of the time. 

London was on family vacation and Nicki refused to come anywhere near Romeo.  I was hoping I could spend more time with Duke but it was taking him a day to return my texts and phone calls, he seemed to always be busy.  Therefore I was forced to hang out with Romeo.

We were both sitting in the living room watching Criminal Minds on a rainy Friday afternoon, “What do you want to do today?” He asked me throwing a nerf football straight up in the air and catching it again

“I don’t know” I sighed flattening out the cashmere blanket that was covering my lap.  I had worn skinny jeans or dresses all week long but with the rain today I was back in my yoga pants, “Did you figure out where Rocco is?  His mom wanted us to got pick out gifts for the wedding registry today at Nordstrom’s”

“He’s in his room; he said he doesn’t want to do anything today”

I groaned, “Did you figure out what’s wrong with him?”

“He’s been like this since the party”

“Yeah… about the party….” I cautiously said, “I met Ellen and I know that Caprice had told me about a girlfriend of yours that broke your heart… a girl that changed you.  It was her wasn’t it?”

Romeo didn’t look at me, he just stopped throwing the football and looked at the TV, “She’s not as sweet as she seems”

“So she was your first love?”

“NO” he quickly said, “But she was important”

“She said you cheated on her”

“I didn’t”

“Why did she think you did?”

“It doesn’t matter… but I didn’t cheat on her”

“Okay”

“Okay?” he questioned, “You believe me?”

“Yeah, if you say you didn’t cheat on her then you didn’t cheat on her.  I see no reason why you of all people would lie to me about it.  You’re not afraid to tell me truth”

“No one believes me when I say I didn’t cheat, my reputation precedes me”

“Well I’m not saying you’re not at all at fault for the break up, but cheating is pretty serious.  What actually happened?”

“I was in love with someone else, from the beginning.  I should have never dated her”

“You were in love with someone else? Weren’t you like 15 when you were with Ellen?”

“Almost 16, but it’s complicated”

“Explain it to me please” I asked shocked how open and honest he was being