Roof

The next day
Olivia sat in her office and glances over to the clock.
12:30....
Knock knock.
"Come in" she says believing it's one of her co workers
Elliot walks in to her office with a cup of black coffee and a donut with pink icing and rainbow sprinkles. Her favourite.
She looks up at him and smiles.
"So where are we going then?" She asks taking the peace offerings out of his hands.
She takes a bit out of the donut, and almost moans aloud, due to the fact that she hasn't had one like this in years!
"I thought I'd take you out for Chinese? For old times sake?" He suggests
"Okay, but I'm having the last spring roll" she laughs exiting her office with him following.
They make their way to the Chinese shop and order. They take a seat and eat the food. They ordered what they always used to;  a pot of chow mein noodles each; rice and spring rolls to share.
"I'm a man in my word" he says with that heart melting smile as he gestures to the last spring roll.
Olivia laughs before she takes a bite. She puts the other half next to his mouth. He raises his eyebrow and smiles before he bites it almost taking her fingers with it. They always used to do this. They would always share food. One of them would take a bite and then the other would finish it.
They exchanged smiles over the repeat of their old ways.
"I'm sorry about yesterday" he says
"El, will you please just stop apologising. Please" she replies
"Okay, but I am sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I just... I.."
"Don't, it's okay. Well it's not been as our kids are dating!" She laughs
"Yeah well... I am sorry, but I don't regret it" he smiles
"El.."
"Liv, I should have told you how I felt before I left. And about that, I can explain why I left, without telling you" he says
She doesn't say anything. She just give the 'go right ahead' face.
"I didn't want to tell you because I had to leave. I had to. And if i told you, I know you would have tried to stop me. I know that you would have convinced me to say. I had to leave. I couldn't and still can't live with myself after everything that has happened, but I couldn't tell you. You would have made me stay" he explains
Olivia doesn't really know what to say. She doesn't have any words, just an expression that will live with Elliot for the rest of his days. Anger? Confusion? sadness? Compassion?
Compassion.
It was compassion. She knew that she would have done exactly that... Convinced him to stay, when he had to leave.
"Okay" she whispers as she hangs her head.
They are done with their meal, so they throw the rubbish in the trash and go out to Elliot's car.
Olivia feels her phone buzz in he pocket.
"Benson"
"Mom, mom please come get me. I need to talk to you" a crying Noah barley whispers
"Baby, what happened?"
"Mom I need to speak to you before I do some stupid"
That's when Olivia's heart sinks.
"Baby where are you?"
"On the roof"...