The 'Happy' Family

CHAPTER TWO

SET THREE YEARS EARLEIR

Tate's POV

THE glow of the green tree's light did amazing things to her fair complexion. Not to mention her hair. She didn't belong here. No not here. With the warm glow of the fairy lights and shiny Christmas ornaments surrounding her she looked more like an angel than ever. I hated seeing her trapped here. She should be up there with Adelaide. Not in this dark house. Not with her rotting corpse underneath the floorboards.

Even though that the thought of it is more evil than any other thought my dark mind has ever conjured up, and I've thought of some pretty twisted morbid things in my time. This was the worst of all. I wanted her to stay in this house. I'd hoped she'd die in this house. I couldn't bare to not have her here. To have her gone... the thought of not seeing her ever again is unbelievably painful.

She looks so happy. Even in death...so happy. Ben and Vivian look happy too. If I didn't know any better I'd say they looked like a real live family. I stared at them through the dusty door's window frame when a sudden feeling of guilt crept over me. I could never be apart of that. Not after what I did to her. Did to her mother. Did to her family.

Just as I was about to leave I saw Violet glance in my direction. For a second her smile disappeared. Only for a second before it was back again. Of course she didn't see me. She couldn't. I was bathed in the shadows the large of the ominous house. She did this often though. She would look right at me. Even when I knew she couldn't see me. It was as though she sensed my presence. Oh jeez Tate get a grip.

She hates you remember? Her whole family hates you and they have every right to "grow a pair" a sharp voice snapped beside me "she's not into you" I looked over to Hayden "you're not getting back into her" her brown eyes flicked towards me "She'll never talk to you again" Each word that Hayden spoke was another knife in my abdomen.

Reminding me of the painful truths that I already knew. She was just rubbing it in. Pushing the knives deeper and wiggling them around a little "I'll wait" I finally said "Forever if I have to" I mean it's not like I didn't have the time. Violet and I were meant to be together. We will be together. I watched Violet as I walked back into the shadows and let the darkness swallow me.