Chapter 7 - She Returns at Last

'Mausi ji, I have to go back to my home now. I have been here for more than a week...' Apsara told her maternal aunt, first thing in the morning.

'Apsara, this is also your home. And what do you have left in that god forsaken cave town? It took away your Baba and ma from you...' Her aunt started her emotional blackmail, almost automatically.

'Mausi ji, please...' Apsara knew Aunt Urmila would try to dissuade her.

'Stay with me, Apsara beti. I have always wanted a daughter... And all god ever gave me were seven sons. Don't go back...' Her aunt insisted.

'I know mausi ji, you love me like a daughter. And after ma passed away, you have been the only mother I have known. But...'

'What but?! There is no reason for you to go back...'

'There is a reason, mausi ji. I may have gotten over ma's death when i was little, thanks to your love and care. But I am not over my Baba's death yet...'

'How will staying alone in that village help you? What will you find there?' Aunt Urmila couldn't understand why her niece wanted to be alone in her time of grief.

'I will find peace...and closure...and may be a will to start my life anew. I need some time alone mausi ji...' Apsara explained; and she needed time to explore the possibility of a future with a hot sculptor. Of course she didn't have to tell her aunt about him as yet.

'Hmm... You have always known how to get your way with me...' Aunt Urmila started mumbling.

'I know my darling mausi jiiii...' Apsara snuggled up to Aunt Urmila.

'Hahaha... I will send your Ambar Bhaiya to drop you off at your house. But first, let me feed you something. First thing in the morning you have told me about leaving...' With that, Aunt Urmila started sulking and walked out of the room to prepare breakfast.

Apsara looked at her aunt go out and then started packing her belongings with a bashful smile playing on her lips.

*

'Tell me something Bindudev, what made you think that you could meddle in my personal life?' 

Hiranya didn't waste a minute to confront Bindudev in the morning. There was no point in questioning Lakhan about who had sent that whore to his house. The boy had, in his innocence given away the identity of his true master by a single, nervous glance.

'I don't know what you mean, Master Hiranya!' Bindudev started fidgeting under Hiranya's hostile glare but denied any kind of involvement in yesterday's events.

'I don't have time to waste on unwanted whores and interfering assistants...' Hiranya took a step towards Bindudev, assuming a threatening pose.

'Master Hiranya, I have done no such thing...'Bindudev was sweating profusely by now. Hiranya was so close to Bindudev now that he could smell the fear on his assistant's breath.

'If you think you know how bad my temper can be, then you are gravely mistaken. One more mistake and I will see to it that you get a real taste of my bad side.' With that, Hiranya turned and left to complete his elephant statue.

Bindudev stood there with a confused guilt and mounting hatred in his eyes. How he wished that Master Sundarbuddh was still around. This would be the last time he would try to do anything good for Hiranya. His foul mood was way better than his foul temper...

*

Apsara arrived at her house in late afternoon with her cousin brother, Ambar. The closer she had gotten to the Ellora caves, the more excited she had felt for some strange reason. The village was the same and all the people in it were the same. On the surface, nothing had really changed but somewhere in those caves was the strangely magnetic man who had made all the difference. Apsara felt the sudden need to visit the caves.