Boarding the Hovercraft

Author's note:

I always thought Kayla to look like Glimmer so everyone has an idea of what she looks like, but hope you enjoy this chapter and please help me with votes and feedback:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katniss’s POV:

I feel my face flush pale at the sound of Kayla’s words. What did she mean? How was I the cause of her parent’s death? How? 

The sound of the buzzer cuts off Caesar’s open mouth and I watch the TV screen as Kayla walks off the stage without another word from neither her nor Caesar. She now comes face to face with me and her eyes look deep into mine as if to challenge my next set of words.

“How?” I finally choke out.

“I lived in the Capitol when it was being attacked over a year ago and my parents sent me away with my uncle. He took me to District 2, but not soon enough. He was pretty wealthy and was leading me towards his personal hovercraft and he suspected someone coming and pulled me into a narrow alleyway. I peered out and only watch my mother coming out of our house to make sure I was at a safe distance only to notice a mine in the distance set off by your team leader. I watched her die and my father take a gun to his head after finding her remains shortly after when the smoke was still billowing. My uncle took me to District 2 where he died shortly after from influenza. Gale adopted me and took me under his wing.” She explains her horrid past as I stand speechless.

She is hurting and becoming a shell of nothing. Gale is molding her into the perfect tribute so that he can have the same glory I have. He wants the fame I have. He turned to Kayla in hops of her winning. She was perfect for him too. She had the drive to want to win, but did she tell him all this? Has she hated me for this? I wouldn't put it past her.

Then, for the first time, I notice her eyes glisten with tears. The guilt sets in as I wrap my arms around her. She hugs me back as she cries onto my shirt. I feel horrible for her and what she went through. I know that I am to blame for it and I words are meaningless. Actions speak louder than words and an apology would not be right.

“I’ll make it up to you.” I whisper. “I promise.”

I hold her comfortingly in my arms as we both watch Zephyr’s turn with Caesar. He seems so calm as he takes his seat.

“Welcome to the hunger games Roth!” Caesar welcomes him.

“It’s um, well too bad I can’t really say the same considering the future events.” He says jokingly as the crowd bursts out in laughter.

“None the less, do you think you are ready for these games?”

“I would like to say I am.” He says calmly with his eyes on the cameras.

“Well Roth, I am curious about something. I have heard rumors about little feuds between you and your mentor.”

Roth lets out a little laugh. “Yeah, I guess Mister Melark and I are not exactly the closest of friends, but he is pretty smart when it comes to giving advice.”

“I understand you and Katniss are becoming friends as well because of your mentor’s connection to her.”

“Yes, I guess you could say that.” Roth’s smile covers his lips as he turns back to the cameras. The buzzer sounds and Caesar bids him good luck as Gwen passes him before taking her seat across Caesar.

Peeta folds his arms over his chest when Zephyr comes into the room. He has a black suit on and I red undershirt with a white tie. His brown locks fall perfectly into place as his eyes meet mine. Kayla then pulls away from me and begins walking off.

“Do you want me to come with you?” I offer only for the door to close behind her without another word.

“She’ll come around.” Peeta reassures me with his hand comfortingly on my shoulder. “I’ll see you at dinner with Effie and Haymitch.” He whispers before kissing me on the cheek and walking off. Zephyr stands behind me still silent.

Zephyr’s POV:

I watch him kiss her and feel my skin crawl. I know they are practically dating and that she loves him, but somehow I feel bitter deep down when I see the two of them together. I like her, but she doesn't even know. What would she even say if I told her my feelings? Would she laugh in my face and judge me because of it? I almost know for fact that she wouldn’t leave Peeta for me, so why am I still so bitter inside when they kiss?

“Roth?” I blink hard when I notice Katniss looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

“Sorry, I guess I was zoning. So, you are probably going to go get ready for dinner. I don’t want to hold you up.” I admit awkwardly with a hint of embarrassment.

“Dinner isn’t for another hour. I have plenty of time.” She says, looking to the side.

“Do you want to go for another walk then?” I ask before her nod follows.

We walk through the halls as she tells me about her last hunger games experiences. She gives me advice and explains how to survive in the arena. She seems wise even though she is younger than me. When we arrive at her door I bid her farewell and watch her open the door and disappear.

The next days seem to come and go. I spend the mornings training with Peeta and then switching with Kayla so Katniss is my mentor. She and I walk the halls every day until she has to go get ready for dinner. There are no scores for us to perform for, seeing as how the gamemakers don’t think we know how to wield a weapon.

Then finally the day of the games comes. This is the morning I have been waiting for; the hunger games. My mind is filled with anxiety, fear, and anticipation. The adrenaline flows through my veins as Peeta walks side by side with me. We come out into the open hanger room. I notice a large aircraft awaiting the tributes before I turn to see Peeta once more. He is giving me a stone face as his ice blue eyes concentrate on mine.

“Any last minute advice?” I ask.

 “Stay alive.” He says unenthusiastically before patting me on the shoulder and nodding to the hovercraft.

I didn’t make a very good impression on him, but I turn and walk towards the hovercraft. Out the corner of my eyes I notice Katniss hugging Kayla. I want to go say my goodbyes to her, but that would cause a scene for sure, so I resentfully walk onto the hovercraft and take a seat.