oculorum

3.0
blurred

"You think I should've let her die don't you?"

"It's not my place to say what I think."

"I'm making it your place. What do you think Zaire? Was saving her a mistake?"

"You're not gonna like my answer."

"I think I can handle it."

"Yes, it was a mistake. You're wasting resources on a girl who's going to be nothing more than a vegetable if she ever awakens. Her temporal lobe is fucked up beyond belief. It's been a month. Time to let her go."

"You don't get it. It isn't like sending the lamb off to be slaughtered. It's not as easy as you make it seem."

"I know it isn't easy Santiago. Nothing is. But there are wounded who could use the ichor you're practically pumping into her. This amount could've been used to help so many other people. It's clearly doing nothing for her."

"So what do you want me to do? Just let her body shut down?"

"It's not like she'll feel it. She probably doesn't even know she's alive. She probably can't feel each time you try to squeeze the life back into her and she probably can't hear us talking now."

"But-"

"Answer one question for me. Do you love her?"

"I-I don't, I'm not sure."

"This isn't an algebra question. If you need to think about the answer-"

"Fuck off Zaire. I asked for your opinion, not an interrogation."

"I'm just trying to help you figure it out. The people aren't happy. They think she should've died the second she was brought in, and now you're using so much of our resources on her? It doesn't sit well with them."

"They made me their leader, they have to respect my decisions. So fucking what if I'm giving her ichor? Have I led any of you astray? Have I not saved everyone here from ruin?"

"Yeah. You have. Fuck. I'm sorry, we're both tired."

"Go outside, take a walk, cool off. It's been a long week. We're both wound up pretty tight."

"Yeah, that would probably be best. See you."

There was the faint sound of a chair being dragged across the floor. The warm pressure of a hand and callused skin. Hot breaths grazing the skin of her neck. Everything was blurred.

"You'd better not be playing dead to bide time for an escape. Or I'll take Zaire's advice and do him one better. I'll kill you myself."