t h e e n d

H y e o n s e o

my thoughts are jumbled as i'm rushed into a room, everything feeling as if it's on fast-forward. i could see Mark out of the corner of my eyes, a slightly worried expression plastered onto his face. i reached out to his hand, capturing his attention.

"it'll be okay," i mouth to him, a hopeful smile on my face. a genuine one.

"alright," he smiles.

the doctor rushes back to my bed, clicking a button and elevating me. i'm slightly panicked, not ready for what's about to happen.

"okay," the doctor says calmly. "we're going to need you to push, alright?"

i silently nod, gripping Mark's hand tightly.

××

after getting it out, it was time to get the other one. i push with all the strength i have left, feeling myself grow weaker and weaker. Mark looks over to me, his grin now replaced with yet another worried look.

"you okay, there Hyeon?"

"of course i am, Mark. giving birth gives a bundle of energy." i say sarcastically.

"well, you did great," he chuckles lightly. "but now i think you should wake up."

my eyes widen, "w-wake up?"

"Hyeonseo, darling, wake up."

"I reached for you, but you were gone."

××

i blink as my eyes flutter open, taking in my surroundings. A gasps falls from my lips as i recognize everything around me. I'm in my bedroom at my parent's house.

quickly sitting up and jumping out of my bed, i begin to realize that everything that "mark & i" had been through was just through my imagination. he's still my best friend, and i'm still 18.

emotions are flooding through me, practically making me feel insane. i can't latch onto one emotion. happiness, depressed, rejection, excitement; not one emotion stays.

trying to find my phone, i scatter everything off of my bed. eventually finding it, i press Mark's contact, calling it.

"emu, do you realize what time it is?" Mark's groggy voice comes from the other side of the line.

"s-sorry, Mark, it can wait until morning." i apologize, feeling stupid for not checking the clock.

"you've already woken me up, emu, just say what you were going to say."

"promise we'll support each other no matter what, hermit?" i sound like a lost and naive child.

"of course," he laughs lightly. "emu and hermit, best friends and partners in crime."

my expression drops slightly. "okay. thank you, hermit."

"no problem, emu."

Mark hangs up after our usual goodbyes. the thing is, i didn't want him to hang up.

sometimes things happen for a reason. we may not always believe that, and we should, no matter how frustrating and depressing a situation may be. this is hard, god is this hard, but the fact that i was reassured that Mark and I would be partners in crime, be in each others lives for a long while, i would have no problem waiting. waiting for the right time to express feelings that i don't even have clear in my own head yet.

i am his emu, and he is my hermit. nothing can ever change that. even though my dream may have heightened my feeling for him, i still need time to wrap my head around things, enjoy life and enjoy my time with him as best friends.

"Didn't they tell us don't rush into things

Didn't you flash your beautiful eyes at me

Didn't you call my fears with the cheshire cat's smile

Didn't it all seem new and exciting

I felt your arms twisting around me

It's all fun and games 'til somebody loses their mind."

__________________________________________________

Author's note:

sometimes not everything is meant to be a perfect fairy-tale, maybe there should just be happiness and an uncertainly left to remain. (made this up lolol)

I personally love the ending, and I'm sorry if this wasn't how you wanted Markseo's final story to end.

You can expect a new story from me soon.

until then, ily all x