Chapter 4

I walked straight to my car, turned on the ignition, and drove off. I'd never skipped before but something was different in me today. I thought about in 3rd grade when Riley stood up for me. I'd had a crush on him ever since. Now I was just mad. He could have done something, anything. I guess i don't really matter to him anymore.

I wasn't really watching where I was driving and I ended up at the park. There aren't very many people here right now. I decided to text my best friend. She always had her phone out in class so I knew she would answer.

Ellie: hey I kinda had to skip so wanna join me?
Liv: sorry but I can't skip again. My parents r gonna kill me. I'm prob gonna get in trouble rn.
Ellie: oh sorry.
Liv: it's fine but what r u skipping for?
Ellie: oh nothing
Liv: are you sure? I'll skip if you really need me.
Ellie: nah I'm fine. Don't get yourself in trouble just for me. 😝
Maybe the emoji will fool her. She's never been the smartest.
I found the tree that me and Liv met at so many years ago. As I sat down, leaning against the trunk, I felt tears start to prick my eyes. I thought Riley was a good guy but he just stood and watched, and that hurt worse than him hitting me. What if he does that one day!!! What if they change him?!!!

My face was covered in tears already. I was sobbing so I didn't hear a motorcycle pull up, but I did hear someone cuss loudly. I peeked around the trunk only to see none other than the schools bad boy.

He seemed to realize someone was looking at him because at that moment he turned and looked me straight in the eye. After a few awkward seconds I whipped my head back behind the tree. I was too late though. I heard his feet crunching on the beginning of autumn leaves as he walked closer to me. I scurried to get away but then he spoke.
"Are you ok?"
I don't know why or why at him but I just cracked. I wasn't the good girl anymore.
"Do you think I'm ok? No. I'm not ok!!! I'm sitting by a tree balling my  eyes out. What do you think? I'm totally fine. But why do you even care? You don't know me! No Daniel I don't need your pity or help. Leave me alone." By the end of my tirade I was almost choking on the tears. Why did he care?
Did he ever say he did?
"Well damn."
"Excuse me?"
"Sorry to upset you princess. You were crying and believe it or not I have a heart too."
With that he just walked away, got on his bike, and rode away. My eyes flooded again. Why couldn't anything go right today?