Prologue/Introduction

Prologue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My gaze followed his nearly lifeless body, tears clouding my vision. I run to him, my own wound gushing with blood and agony.

"Scott!"

Collapsing to my knees beside him, his crippled body lying their in pain as he struggles to sit up against the old oak tree. My long dark brown hair falling infront of me as I tilt forward, digging my face into my hands. I heard Drake's footsteps swiftly gliding toward us. His evil grin forming a knot in my stomach.

"The affection you have for this boy is pitiful Jennifer Nydia."

I stand abruptly, the tears and sorrow replaced with complete anger. Barely hearing that little voice inside me telling me I'm defenseless. Ignoring it as I charge for him. Picking up speed, having no clue what my next move will be when I reach him. The voice of my boyfriend Scott filling my head, stopping me in my tracks. I quickly spin around to see that Scott has gotten up off the ground and is on his way towards me. I pace to him, sighing with relief that he's not dead. I help him up and we sprint towards a nearby abandoned warehouse. Scott using his shoulder, breaks open a wooden door allowing us to hide inside.

"Stay here, I'll be back. I will not let you get hurt"

Scott ordered. I opened my mouth in protest but instead of words air escaped from my lips.

Scott jogs back outside. Back to Drake. Coming within metres of him. I couldn't just stand there. Disobeying Scott I rushed to the open doorway that we entered from and watched as Drake grinned;

"You want another shot at killing a fellow fallen angel, Scott? An immortal I might add. Ok then, go ahead."

Just as soon as Drake finishes speaking his ruthless words, Scott steps forward, eyeing a small metal tire iron lying on the ground in the vacant secluded field, barely making out its shape and form in the darkness of the night. In one swift movement he sprints for the tire iron, grabbing it before pushing it into Drakes wing scar on the left side in the top half of his back. Drake drops to the ground, the muscles in his bare chest tensing in pain as he becomes mildly paralyzed.

"Jennifer, we have to get out of here before he re-strengthens himself. We've only got a few minutes."

Scott says, hurrying back to me and tightening his grip on my hand as we both head for his black 4x4 Jeep. Scott feels around his pockets, searching for his keys, but unsuccessful.

"How are we going to get in?"

I ask nervously, seeking to find if Drake is still paralyzed. Scott suddenly lifts his elbow and smashes it through the window next to the driver’s seat;

"That's how. Quickly get in."

I take one last glance to where Drake was, but, he was gone.

I can suddenly feel Scott's gaze on me and I turn to face him, allowing him to fully see the worry that was now smeared on my face.

Searching my surroundings I failed to spot Drake. Scott did the same, but only for a moment before he said;

"Come on, we can't hang around here any longer, let’s go. I can't let anything happen to you."

Anxiously finishing my search, I nod, reaching for the passenger seat door handle. Suddenly I stumble backwards, fighting off the arm that strangles my neck. I struggle to breathe as Drake tightens his grip. My vision going fuzzy, nearly unconscious, the last thing I saw was Scott. Taking in his full black outfit, his black skinny jeans and leather jacket, his black converses and v neck t-shirt. Trying to replace his painful and upset expression with his warm and loving gaze I've grown to love. Trying to remember all the times I've felt like I was melting with desire when he'd smile at me with his perfect teeth and inviting lips.

The way my heart skips a beat every time he looks at me with his dark black eyes. I doze out of my haze and plummet back into reality when I notice Scott's strong muscular arms diving for Drake. That one sight bringing me back to the moment I first met him, how his lean, muscular body sent a warm tingle through my body. Watching as he scraped his hand through his perfect black hair, shaped like a quiff. I return back to the abandoned open field, still suffering from the effect of Drakes grip over my neck. I look around, straining to keep a solid breathe. Focusing on the image of Scott lying on the floor, ten metres away, before I feel a bang to my head and everything goes black.

Introduction

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been nearly three months since I was found outside the local Ashbridge hospital and three months since I lost my memory. I still couldn't remember what had happened to me that night, or that whole month for that matter. I could remember everything in my life up until then, except what happened during April. When I was found and word had gotten around that I couldn't remember anything, everyone treated me differently, as though I was a stranger they've never seen before.

After a while though everything and everyone was gradually going back to normal, like that one night in April never happened. I still occasionally get someone from my high school in Ashbridge come up to me and ask what happened that night. And every time, I never know what to answer them. I missed out on my 17th birthday on the 21st of April, or more like I forgot my 17th birthday. My bestfriend Ashlee Hudson had filled me in on some of the things that had happened during April but mainly things in school like all the dramas I forgot, as well as my dad who told me everything I missed at home and the neighbourhood gossip.  

My mother would have done the same if it weren't for the traumatic cause of her unfortunate death except, now, my mum can't, and she’ll never be able to. I guess it would have been best if I had some figure, guide other than my father. But I'm an only child. Sometimes my father looks at me, and he would hold a dark gloomy expression that he withers with a smile.

It has been so hard adapting to the facts that I nearly died. If I did, my father wouldn't be able to cope. I can't let anything happen to my family. I love them too much. Remembering the last time ever my mother smiled at me. I smiled inwardly thinking that my mother only wanted me to be 'nothing less than happy'. My dad works as a successful philosopher. Though lately he hasn't been at home, due to work commitments.

Most of the time he's in another country making an archeological discovery or exploring some great wonder of the world. Right now, he's at the Pyramid of Giza in Egypt and isn't coming back until next week on Sunday which is nine days away, which leaves me and my little Jack Russell puppy named Jackie on our own at home in a very secluded neighbourhood, where each house is at least two blocks apart. I go to school at Ashbridge Secondary School, in fact, I'm there right now.