Ch.5

Lucas refused to leave Maya's side until she woke up. He didn't know why. They weren't friends or anything but yet her donated her his blood and wouldn't leave. He was still there when she did wake up.
"Lucas?"
"Hey."
"What happened?"
"I saw your arm and I grabbed your wrist. You started bleeding and then passed out."
"Who knows about this?"
"Mostly just teachers because it was after school but Michael and Arron saw them."
"Great. When can I go home?"
"Probably, the next hour."
"Okay. One more question."
"Go."
"Why are you here?"
"Because I care."
"Seriously. Why are you here?"
"I really care, Maya. I know that we drifted a lot but I still care."
"Well, thanks, I guess."
--
The next day, school would be brutal for Maya. From the moment that she walked in, people called her names and left letters on her locker. She was hit a few times and kicked in the shin time after time. People often stepped on her heels. The thing that was the worst was when people would grab her arm and pull up her sleeve. Lucas saw this happen. He was sitting next to Earnie in the hallway when someone shoved her books to the ground, grabbed her arm, and harshly ripped her sleeve up. She made eye contact with Lucas but he didn't move.
"Well?" Asked Earnie.
"Well what?"
"Make fun of her or leave."
"I'm not going to make fun of her." He said, watching her pick up her drawings.
"Well, do something or you can go and be a nobody like her." Lucas couldn't think. He stood up and walked over, stepping on three of her drawings, leaving a footprint on two. She stood up angrily.
"Will you make up your fucking mind?" He looked over at Earnie who was giving him a thumbs up.
"I already have." He grabbed one of her drawings and ripped it in half.
"Lucas Friar." Said a voice. He turned to see Cory. "Principles office." He crumpled up the paper and dropped it as the bell rang, then walking away. Maya bent back down placed the rest in her folder and picked up the other one. She didn't have to worry about being late because they did not take attendance in study hall. Her eyes were wet as she stood up, straightening the paper.
"Do you need some tape?" Asked Cory, who had a free period.
"Yes, please." He brought her into his room and ripped off a piece of tape. She turned the pieces upside down and taped them, turning it back around.
"It still looks good." She shook her head, disagreeing. "I'm sorry about Lucas. I never thought he would do that."
"I did."
"And why's that?"
"Because his friends do. Didn't you teach us that people change people?"
"And people change people back. I'm going to report this because as a teacher, I always report bullying. But have some faith in him."
"Thanks for the tape."
"No problem."